Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn and thread sources

I tend to shop locally so that I can feel and see the yarns firsthand. The choices are somewhat limited for better quality and wider choices of fibers, so I'd like to try buying online. Has anyone had good success with buying online with good prices? I can't justify spending oodles of money on the yarns except for very, very special projects. Where do you shop for yarn and thread? Is the shipping expensive? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    My favourite online source is Herrschners. I usually wait until they have free shipping to place an order. It takes awhile to get to Canada, but the wait is worth it. I bought some Egyptian crochet thread from them and am absolutely in love with it....it is so soft and silky....I love working with it.
    http://tinypic.com/k3rq4z.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    This is such a good question, I am so glad you asked it!!! I will check out Herrschners.

Hey Armybrat, what are you making with it?

So far, I have gotten my yarn either from Walmart or Crochetgal who is a member here and she has an online shop on Etsy. I am just getting warmed up on Crocheting, I haven't been doing it for very long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok since I work mostly w/ thread, I get Aunt Lydias Crocht thread at Micheals....I get the 2730 yd ONLY when I get the 50% off coupon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bless you! You're quite knowledgable and so helpful!! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat View Post
    My favourite online source is Herrschners. I usually wait until they have free shipping to place an order. It takes awhile to get to Canada, but the wait is worth it. I bought some Egyptian crochet thread from them and am absolutely in love with it....it is so soft and silky....I love working with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy on line @ annie attic. @ joanns

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I actually have not purchased any online. I have bought yarn by shopping at physical locations at Wal-Mart, Jo Ann's, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have bought online thru Herrscheners, Annies Attic, Lions Brand & Smileys Yarns and of course, ebay. The thing you have to watch is the cost. Unless there is an absolute color you must have, purchasing locally at Joanns, Micaels and Walmart is the best. The former companies tend to be a bit high on their costs even Joanns and Michaels. I can usually get almost the same color I want at Walmart for as much as $1 per skein cheaper with no shipping. Smileys Yarns you have to have to spend $50 just to order plus shipping & ebay......let me just say that through experience it is usually cheaper somewhere else. On ebay the cost may look a bit cheaper on some things and quite a bit higher on others and by the time you add on the shipping and calculate the total cost per skein you can sometimes be paying over twice what you would pay in the store. Just a bit of information I have acquired over the past year or so.