Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

sugar and cream yarn

Has anyone tried this yarn? It's like string. I don't like it but since I started using the yarn I'll continue with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Has anyone tried this yarn? It's like string. I don't like it but since I started using the yarn I'll continue with it.
    I only use this yarn for dish cloths. It is 100% cotton yarn and looses it's shape when crocheted into garments. I have done some animals. I do not know how they hold up as I gave them away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like elproct, I have made hundreds of dishcloths from this yarn as well as jar grippers, cobweb dusters and spoon scrubbies that sold very well for me at craft shows. Many years ago, my grandmother made us a sc ripple afghan from this yarrn that lasted over 15 years. It was everyone's favorite as it was warm and comforting, but when it was wet, it weighed a ton when you removed it from the washer and would need to be reshaped. The only problem with using this yarn for dishcloths is that it loses its color quite quickly, but they are very durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use reg. 4 ply yarn for dishcloths it will be a thicker dishcloth. My parents said they liked the thicker dishcloths.

Post Thanks / Like
    A cotton dishcloth made with an H or I hook and single crochet stitches gets nice and thick. If you feel that isn't heavy enough, you can always make it double. Make your piece twice as long as you want the finished cloth to be. Fold in half and crochet the 3 open edges together.
    I wouldn't advise making dishcloths out of regular 4 ply yarn, but the final decision is always up to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best for dishcloths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Sue View Post
    A cotton dishcloth made with an H or I hook and single crochet stitches gets nice and thick. If you feel that isn't heavy enough, you can always make it double. Make your piece twice as long as you want the finished cloth to be. Fold in half and crochet the 3 open edges together.
    I wouldn't advise making dishcloths out of regular 4 ply yarn, but the final decision is always up to you.
    If you hold 2 yarn together or fold the yarn in half then the yarn will twist.

I have a dishcloth that I knitted out of 4 ply yarn. It's stretched out and I still use it. I like it.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-05-2022 at 09:39 AM.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I only use Sugar and Cream yarn for dishcloths. It has a tendency to split while crocheting, but it makes a durable cloth that won't twist.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of dishcloths that someone else made that looks like its made from sugar and cream yarn or something similar. I like the dishcloth that I made out of 4 ply yarn better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only ever used Sugar & Cream cotton yarn for dishcloths, for which it is good, though I prefer Knitpick's CotLin, which is 30% Linen & 70% cotton, for dishcloths. I wonder if anyone else uses CotLin for dishcloths and other household things instead of your standard-issue "handicrafter" 100 per cent cotton.

So, look what I found:

Best Yarn for Dishcloths (2022) | Crochet + Knit - love. life. yarn.

Somebody else on this planet also loves CotLin for discloths...
    Last edited by MeToo!; 06-14-2022 at 10:40 AM.