Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Crochet Club

  1. #1
    dancingbaehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Crochet Club

    Hello everyone!

    We have a neighborhood website where people talk about all kinds of things happening in the neighborhood. One lady (Linda) posted that she would love to find someone to give her crochet lessons. I answered the call and volunteered. We met at her home and decided to wait until after Easter to start the lessons. Since then, other women have asked to join us. So, I asked if they would like to form a crochet club and the overwhelming answer was "YES". So far, we have 13 ladies signed up! The problem is having enough seating for so many people. Her home is lovely, but she doesn't have enough seating. Of course, in the warm weather months, we can meet at a park, or on someone's patio. We can all bring a folding chair, if necessary. We are so surprised at the response to start a club! So, crocheting isn't dead around here. In fact, some of the women said they used to crochet and want to pick it up again, since they have retired. Linda and I are so happy this has blossomed into a group of women who want to keep crocheting alive!
    ~~ Jo ♥♥
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

  2. Likes spoula, Nova55, Ellebelle, elproct liked this post
  3. #2
    Jean Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,906
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy for you Jo. Maybe the club could crochet something to donate like dishcloths for a church or blankets for a nursing home or baby clothes for a hospital. Just a thought. I forgot how to get those red hearts you have by your name. I pushed the alt 3 buttons on the keyboard and it didn't work.♥ I just did alt and then 3 on the number pad and got a black heart. I don't know how to get a red heart.

    I am trying to teach someone how to crochet. We did the chain and now we're on the sc. She's having a hard time getting it. I know some people only put the hook under one loop when crocheting in the chain but I like to put the hook under 2 loops even in the chain sts. I had another idea she can do the sc foundation row I don't do the sc foundation row but I have watched videos. Maybe I should practice it. And then there's the magic ring which I've done a lot. And I also saw that there's a double magic ring but I just do the magic ring the regular way. And then there's the tunisian stitch or entrelac stitch. Do you have any other crochet tips for her?
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-07-2022 at 10:57 AM.

  4. #3
    spoula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    I think that is great to get together and crochet, knit chat with friends and learn new stitches. It is also very nice to pass on your talent to others.

    Spoula

  5. Likes Nova55 liked this post
  6. #4
    Teri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NY
    Posts
    1,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning Jo

    Wow that sounds like so much fun. I have been wanting to start something like this for years. I keep talking about it to my daughter but I never do anything about it. We are very rural here and I bet it would be a good thing. I was thinking of meeting in our dance school but we are so busy there from September to June that there isn't open time to do it. I wanted to ask moms in the dance school to join me and I would get to know them more on a social basis rather than business.
    I am so happy for you that you have got this going. It reminds me of an episode from the TV show Christy back in the 1990s where the women got together to make a quilt. I think that is where I got the idea. So that is how long I have wanted to do this.

    BRAVA! I know you will enjoy the time you will have with these people!
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

    http://otsegodance.com

  7. #5
    dancingbaehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I'm happy for you Jo. Maybe the club could crochet something to donate like dishcloths for a church or blankets for a nursing home or baby clothes for a hospital. Just a thought. I forgot how to get those red hearts you have by your name. I pushed the alt 3 buttons on the keyboard and it didn't work.♥ I just did alt and then 3 on the number pad and got a black heart. I don't know how to get a red heart.

    I am trying to teach someone how to crochet. We did the chain and now we're on the sc. She's having a hard time getting it. I know some people only put the hook under one loop when crocheting in the chain but I like to put the hook under 2 loops even in the chain sts. I had another idea she can do the sc foundation row I don't do the sc foundation row but I have watched videos. Maybe I should practice it. And then there's the magic ring which I've done a lot. And I also saw that there's a double magic ring but I just do the magic ring the regular way. And then there's the tunisian stitch or entrelac stitch. Do you have any other crochet tips for her?
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I like your idea of the crochet group making items for hospitals and churches. But, first the ladies all need to know how to crochet. Some of them already do, but not all of them. It may take a while for them to get good enough to make big items. I don't want to start anyone out making a blanket, because it is too large. I think if they start with small projects like scarves, they will be more likely to stay with the craft. I know from my own experience that the large things can be intimidating. I have a blanket I started three years ago! LOL! It is more helpful and more fun to see your finished project quicker than waiting to finish a large blanket. Even lap blankets can take a lot of time, for a true beginner. But, I like the idea of making dishcloths to donate. Anything small like that.

    After you make the black heart, then highlight it and then click on the Font color tab at the top of your text. It is the box with the capital "A". Click on the red color and it will change your black heart to a red one. You won't see it until you post your message. If it doesn't work right, you can edit your message and try again.

    It sounds like you are teaching your friend the right beginner things. The only thing I can add is that she needs to know the proper way to hold her hook and yarn and to keep good tension, so her stitches will be even. Some people just can't get it right away. It all takes time. Learning to relax is also important. If you are too tense, your stitches will tend to be too tight. I haven't heard of the double magic ring. I'll look it up on YouTube. Thanks!
    Keep me posted as to how your student does. Thank you for sharing your talent!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

  8. Likes spoula liked this post
  9. #6
    dancingbaehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Good Morning Jo

    Wow that sounds like so much fun. I have been wanting to start something like this for years. I keep talking about it to my daughter but I never do anything about it. We are very rural here and I bet it would be a good thing. I was thinking of meeting in our dance school but we are so busy there from September to June that there isn't open time to do it. I wanted to ask moms in the dance school to join me and I would get to know them more on a social basis rather than business.
    I am so happy for you that you have got this going. It reminds me of an episode from the TV show Christy back in the 1990s where the women got together to make a quilt. I think that is where I got the idea. So that is how long I have wanted to do this.

    BRAVA! I know you will enjoy the time you will have with these people!
    Hi Teri,

    What are you waiting for??? Go ahead and ask the moms if they'd like to join your crochet club. You may get one or two, or maybe a big group of ladies interested. Maybe some of them knit, but would like to get into a social group. Even ladies who do embroidery or hand sewing could join. It is just a platform to get a group together to socialize and share common interests. Some of the women who are joining my club have said they are now retired and are going crazy trying to find something to do with their time. Of course, your moms are probably not as old as the ladies in my group, but many women still need a place to go to connect with other women. This is true especially if they aren't working outside the home. If they are in the working world, they are probably already interacting with other women some. Anyway, I think you should follow your heart and your dream and make it happen!
    Let me know if you do it. I'm rooting for you! Maybe you'll find you don't really like it, but hey, you tried!!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

  10. Likes spoula liked this post
  11. #7
    dancingbaehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jo,
    I think that is great to get together and crochet, knit chat with friends and learn new stitches. It is also very nice to pass on your talent to others.

    Spoula
    Hi Spoula,
    Thank you for your encouraging words! I am a true believer in "paying it forward", so I like to teach crochet to whoever wants to learn. My mother taught me when I was about 10 years old. She also taught me to knit, do crewel embroidery, needlepoint and taught me to sew. She was a fabulous seamstress. I will never be at her level, but pray to her to help me with sewing projects. They always turn out good, so I guess she hears my prayers.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

  12. Likes MeToo!, spoula liked this post
  13. #8
    Jean Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,906
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The lady I'm teaching crochet says she has the hang of the sc. She wants to practice the sc until she has a square. She wants to get it down pat before she crochets anything. She's left handed (She writes with her left hand) but she is crocheting right handed. She doesn't want to crochet left handed now she says she would have to start all over if she crocheted left handed. She holds the hook a bit different - how it is more comfortable to her. She seems to be somewhat relaxed when crocheting but she will get more relaxed over time.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-15-2022 at 08:17 PM.

  14. Likes Teri liked this post
  15. #9
    dancingbaehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie,
    I am also left-handed, but crochet right-handed. That is the way my mother taught me. I also use scissors with my right hand and use my computer mouse right-handed. Its funny...I crochet right-handed, but have to use my left hand to weave in the ends of the yarn!
    I see you mastered making the colored hearts! YAY!! ~~ Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

  16. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, GA.
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo, I think it's a great idea that you and Linda started your crochet club and I hope it continues to grow. I know when you ladies get together that you have a good time. There is something about starting out with a chain or circle and creating something beautiful that you made. It makes me feel so proud of myself. Especially when I tried a new stitch and pattern that I have never done before. Like, when I started doing the filet crochet that you helped me to learn. I have made a lot of those blankets for family members and friends who were expecting babies. I used to think that crocheting was a dying art, but that's not true. I have come across ladies out grocery shopping or other places who crochet. There is a lady where I work who brings her crochet with her to work and crochets on her breaks. Right now, I am working on a beautiful shell blanket for my mama with variegated yarn. I am putting a straight edge on the blanket now. Unfortunately, I only have time to work on it on the weekends. A couple more feet and I should be done with it. Keep crocheting and have lots of fun with your new group! I wish you much success with your group. Lynda

  17. Likes Teri liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in