Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious re Shawls.

I see endless patterns for crocheted (and some knitted) shawls. There is also a Ravelry crocheted shawl group, with countless shawls displayed there.

But does anyone even wear shawls regularly? Or do they give up after finding out how awkward they are, i.e., beautiful but not very useful. Most are quite lovely and some are breathtaking, but they are not an ergonomic item of clothing. If you don't clutch it, it falls off. But then you can't carry things because you would then have no free hand left to do things like open doors or shop. Even if you use a shawl pin, still, shawls do get in the way of normal human movement.

As to some Faroese shawls (usually knitted but not necessarily), from wikipedia:

Instead of a more familiar triangular, rectangular or circular shape, Faroese shawls are shaped like butterfly wings. Some have very long ends so they can be tied around the wearer's waist for extra warmth.

Seems that the advantage is not so much the extra warmth but the fact that your hands will be freed up!

I acknowledge that some properly designed shawlettes* can be useful and easy to wear.

I am always on the hunt for truly useful shawl paterns, i.e., the kind that sits on your shoulders and doesn't fall off. Indeed, I am still working on one. One fine day, I hope to post a photo of it here.

*Definition: a shawlette covers shoulders and upper arms, a shawl is deeper and covers full back and often overlaps in front. Here is a pattern for one:

Free Crochet Pattern…Philomena Shawlette! – fiberfluxblog.com

2. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've made a couple shawls, and it does seem that the butterfly or circular style hold to the shoulders better. I did make a triangular one for my mom that wasn't too low in the back, and she didn't have any problems keeping it on, but she usually wore it over a sweater and she was mostly sitting in a chair reading or watching tv. I remember seeing a program about Victorian England, and the working women wore the shawl crossed in the front and tied behind their back, freeing up their hands. There are certainly some beautiful shawl patterns out there, but I don't really see anyone on the street wearing them. The last time I saw a woman wearing a shawl, she was wearing an evening dress and the shawl was beautifully shimmery and had a wonderful drape. I think mostly they must be used at home for keeping you warm while sitting.

4. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your mentioning how the Victorian era women (according to the program you saw) wore their shawls. I have wondered for some time why women didn't just wear sweaters or jackets to keep warm both outdoors and in cool houses. Was this a case of outer garments with sleeves being considered unfeminine, like women wearing pants? Thank God that times have changed.

I have made a shawl and it's sitting in a drawer. Another one which I completed is long and narrow, so I use it as a scarf. I started a proper shawl (won't fall off) quite some time ago and am going to finish it.

The shawl is not an ergonomic garment, it's a veritable error in clothing design (in most cases). Thanks for responding.
    Last edited by MeToo!; 08-27-2023 at 01:25 AM.

6. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post