Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread: Crochet Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    There's such a thing as getting the right tension in crochet and crocheting too tight. I crocheted too tight on one round so the next round was hard to get the crochet hook through the stitch. I had to loosen up my stitches a bit so on the following rnd I could get my crochet hook through the previous stitches and so its not so hard on my hands. And then if the crochet stitches are not too tight in the previous rnd then I can crochet faster and easier.

Jean Marie
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-21-2022 at 01:56 PM.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Jean Marie,

Yes, I have been teaching the newbies in the group that getting the right tension is so very important. They are willing to listen and are trying to make their stitches loose enough to be able to put the hook into.
    Thanks! ~~ Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I'm glad you have joined a knitting club! How many ladies are in your group? Keep us posted as to what you all are making.
    Have fun! ~~ Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    Only 3 others and myself for the first time. We didn't know each other so we spent some time introducing ourselves and what we have made and what we are currently making. I think there will be more ladies joining in the fall and winter when kids are back at school.
    They are all talented no beginners in this group.

Thanks for asking, I hope your group is doing well also.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    Hi, Jean Marie,

Yes, I have been teaching the newbies in the group that getting the right tension is so very important. They are willing to listen and are trying to make their stitches loose enough to be able to put the hook into.
    Thanks! ~~ Jo
    Hi Jo,
    Crocheting too tight is not the same thing as tension in crochet. Tension is how tight or loose you hold the yarn in your hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Jo,
    Crocheting too tight is not the same thing as tension in crochet. Tension is how tight or loose you hold the yarn in your hand.
    Hi Jean Marie,
    Yes, I understand that. But, when someone holds the yarn too tight in their tension hand, they tend to also make their stitches too tight. I keep telling them to relax and loosen up a bit. Then, they "get it". ~~ Jo

7. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,
    My crochet club ladies met yesterday at a nearby IHOP. There were four of us this time. Everyone brought their practice piece and their stitches looked nice and even. We talked about what project we could make together. One lady brought a crochet book and it had a nice, easy scarf pattern we all liked. We said we would try to make it. Then, I told them about a nice, very easy pillow I made, that looks like it has cables. I told them it is only double crochet and chain stitches. Then, they all wanted to make the pillow instead of the scarf. A few minutes later, one lady asked if we would mind if she doesn't make a pillow. She doesn't like throw pillows at all. We all thanked her for speaking up. So now, we're back to making the scarf! It is so important in a group like this to make sure everyone is interested in making the same project. I think when we finish the scarf, I will ask them if they want to continue making something together, or start making individual items. I really don't want them to tackle large projects until they are really comfortable with crocheting.

I also told them I will teach them how to read patterns. They all want to learn that. I also taught them how to attach a new skein of yarn, if they run out. Then, I taught them how to do the half double crochet stitch. It is slow going, but they are willing to learn. I'm anxious to take a photo of their first project and post it here!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo ♥♥

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like your group is coming along nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Left-handed crocheter

Hi Jo,

We had a left-hander in our crochet group and I struggled to show her how to do the stitches. (Being a righty, my brain couldn't adjust). We solved the problem by having her sit across the table so that we were facing each other (kind of created a mirror image). Worked like a charm!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Sounds like your group is coming along nicely.
    Thanks, Jean Marie! It is moving slow (for me), but they are learning.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo