Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Crochet Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    You might want to teach your crochet class the magic circle. I don't know the last time I started a project with a chain. I'm always starting with a magic circle.
    Jean Marie I almost forgot. I was pushing control 3 instead of alt 3 for the heart and it was going a page back.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 05-28-2022 at 07:44 PM.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Jo,
    You might want to teach your crochet class the magic circle. I don't know the last time I started a project with a chain. I'm always starting with a magic circle.
    Jean Marie I almost forgot. I was pushing control 3 instead of alt 3 for the heart and it was going a page back.
    Hi Jean Marie,
    Yes, I will definitely be teaching the magic circle. Thanks for your suggestion. But first, I want them to learn the chain stitch, because many things can't be made in the round, as with a magic circle. As soon as they master the chain, single crochet and double crochet stitches, I will get them to make something simple, like a dishcloth. A granny square can be made with a magic circle, so maybe I can have them make those too.
    I made the mistake of pushing control 3 just last week. My page disappeared. I didn't know what happened, until I realized my mistake!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    Hope you're doing well. Another thing you could teach the crochet club is crocheting in the front loop only and crocheting in the back loop only. I know, one thing at a time.

Jean Marie

And if you need to make it easier for your students in learning crochet you can tell them that ( sc is through 2 loops once, dc is through 2 loops twice and triple crochet is through 2 loops 3 times.)
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-05-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet Club

Thought you might be interested to know that IHOP restaurants have a free meeting room.

I was in a crochet club in Colorado Spring, CO and we met at IHOP every Monday.

Seating was never a problem and we usually ordered a snack or drinks, so the restaurant benefitted as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jankasony View Post
    Thought you might be interested to know that IHOP restaurants have a free meeting room.

I was in a crochet club in Colorado Spring, CO and we met at IHOP every Monday.

Seating was never a problem and we usually ordered a snack or drinks, so the restaurant benefitted as well.
    Thank you, jankasony for that good advice. I appreciate your help. If our group gets bigger, we may have to meet at another place. As of now, there are only five of us, so we are able to meet at one lady's home. There is an IHOP nearby, so I will keep it in mind for the future.
    ~~ Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Jo,
    Hope you're doing well. Another thing you could teach the crochet club is crocheting in the front loop only and crocheting in the back loop only. I know, one thing at a time.

Jean Marie

And if you need to make it easier for your students in learning crochet you can tell them that ( sc is through 2 loops once, dc is through 2 loops twice and triple crochet is through 2 loops 3 times.)
    Thank you, Jean Marie for that good advice. But, as you said, one step at a time. I have printed a page for each lady, from one of my crochet books, showing a lot of stitches and how to do them. I will ask them tomorrow to try to master a few of them before our next meeting in three weeks. Then, maybe they can make something small, like a dish cloth. Starting slow, so they don't get overwhelmed and give up. I am anxious to get them making something, but know they first need to feel comfortable with the stitches and learn to make their tension correctly. All in due time......
    ~~ Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all!
    My crochet club met yesterday. Only one lady was able to come! But, she and I had a good time chatting and getting to know each other better. She had been practicing on the single crochet stitch and has mastered it well. Her only problem is holding the yarn in her left hand and keeping the tension right. We worked on that for a while and she got better at it. Not good, but better.
    We met at a nearby IHOP and sat in the back room. Thanks to jankasony for that good information. I didn't know IHOP offered that room for free. They will let our group meet there every three weeks.
    I gave her a page I had printed with several crochet stitches and how to do them. I started her making the double crochet stitch. It took a few minutes for her to remember to yarn over before going into the stitch, but she finally got it. I gave her a "homework" assignment of practicing the dc stitch and maybe even trying to make another stitch on that page I gave her. She lives alone and really needs a hobby. That's why she wants to learn crochet. She had to buy larger yarn, because of her eye problems. Now, she can see the stitches much better.
    Hopefully, the rest of the ladies will be able to come for the next meeting on the 29th.
    ~~Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo, Glad you started your group even if it is only one. Since that lady is new to the art it was good to have the time to spend helping her. She will catch on and won't feel left out if others are ahead of her a little. Great start paying if forward.

Note: I joined a knitting club we will meet next week and then maybe every other week. I have been busy trying to have something knitted to take with me. All the ladies can crochet and knit some are better than others, but they want to learn different stitches so it should be fun.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Are you teaching knitting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    No, I am not teaching any knitting myself. I believe there are others joining that want to learn and don't know how to knit or crochet so I think I will be there to help if needed. The lady that is organizing this event is a knitter and just started back doing some crochet. She is a thrower in knitting, and I use the continental style in knitting. She has tried it but finds it difficult so this will be fun for us to try other things that we don't know how to do. We will show the others that don't know how to do either it is ok to make mistakes you learn from them. I know as I mess up all the time (ha).

Hope you are doing well,
    Spoula