Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Crochet Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I like your idea of the crochet group making items for hospitals and churches. But, first the ladies all need to know how to crochet. Some of them already do, but not all of them. It may take a while for them to get good enough to make big items. I don't want to start anyone out making a blanket, because it is too large. I think if they start with small projects like scarves, they will be more likely to stay with the craft. I know from my own experience that the large things can be intimidating. I have a blanket I started three years ago! LOL! It is more helpful and more fun to see your finished project quicker than waiting to finish a large blanket. Even lap blankets can take a lot of time, for a true beginner. But, I like the idea of making dishcloths to donate. Anything small like that.

After you make the black heart, then highlight it and then click on the Font color tab at the top of your text. It is the box with the capital "A". Click on the red color and it will change your black heart to a red one. You won't see it until you post your message. If it doesn't work right, you can edit your message and try again.

It sounds like you are teaching your friend the right beginner things. The only thing I can add is that she needs to know the proper way to hold her hook and yarn and to keep good tension, so her stitches will be even. Some people just can't get it right away. It all takes time. Learning to relax is also important. If you are too tense, your stitches will tend to be too tight. I haven't heard of the double magic ring. I'll look it up on YouTube. Thanks!
    Keep me posted as to how your student does. Thank you for sharing your talent!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    She says she thinks she knows how to do the sc now and that next Fall we can work on the dc.

Post Thanks / Like

Try IHOP

Before COVID, we had a crochet meetup at IHOP. They have a free meeting room and of course we would order coffee/tea or a snack, so it was win-win. Unfortunately, COVID killed our group and then I moved out of state, so not sure if they resumed.
    Last edited by jankasony; 04-02-2022 at 10:47 PM.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Fey View Post
    Hi Jo, I think it's a great idea that you and Linda started your crochet club and I hope it continues to grow. I know when you ladies get together that you have a good time. There is something about starting out with a chain or circle and creating something beautiful that you made. It makes me feel so proud of myself. Especially when I tried a new stitch and pattern that I have never done before. Like, when I started doing the filet crochet that you helped me to learn. I have made a lot of those blankets for family members and friends who were expecting babies. I used to think that crocheting was a dying art, but that's not true. I have come across ladies out grocery shopping or other places who crochet. There is a lady where I work who brings her crochet with her to work and crochets on her breaks. Right now, I am working on a beautiful shell blanket for my mama with variegated yarn. I am putting a straight edge on the blanket now. Unfortunately, I only have time to work on it on the weekends. A couple more feet and I should be done with it. Keep crocheting and have lots of fun with your new group! I wish you much success with your group. Lynda
    Hi Lynda,
    Yes, I agree that it is so rewarding to see what you have made, from just a hook and some yarn! I am forever grateful to my mother for teaching me how to crochet. I see women crocheting in doctor's waiting rooms. I always take something to occupy my time, since many times you have a long wait. Please post a photo of the blanket when you get it finished. I am just now seeing your post, so you probably have already finished it! I'm sure your mama will love it.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jankasony View Post
    Before COVID, we had a crochet meetup at IHOP. They have a free meeting room and of course we would order coffee/tea or a snack, so it was win-win. Unfortunately, COVID killed our group and then I moved out of state, so not sure if they resumed.
    Hi jankasony,
    I didn't know about IHOP having a free meeting room. If our club gets too large to meet in one home, we might have to go to IHOP. I hope you will start another group at your new location. Thanks for the info. on IHOP!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all!
    Well, we finally started our crochet group! There were only five of us for the first meeting. Two of the ladies know nothing about crochet, so they were my main focus. One lady has crocheted, but it has been a long time since she made anything. She was getting re-acquainted with how to do some stitches. Abother lady has never crocheted, so I was teaching her how to hold her yarn and hook. She is struggling with it, because she has eye problems. She had thin yarn, I told her she should get some thicker yarn, so she can see the stitches better. She agreed. One lady is an avid crocheter like me, so she and I helped the other ladies. We have agreed to meet every three weeks. I had them write their names, phone numbers and emails, so I can make a list for everyone. The first meeting was mainly a "getting to know each other" meeting. We haven't decided on a name for our group yet. We'll get there. I am looking forward to getting everyone up to speed so we can possibly focus on making things for charity or nursing homes. Or, maybe they will just want to make their own things. Either way, it will be fun just getting together. One lady's 13 year old granddaughter wants to come. She wasn't out of school yet, but will be able to come to the next meeting. It is wonderful to hear a 13 year old wants to learn the craft. There are other ladies who wanted to join, but didn't show up. I hope they come to the next meeting.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    Last edited by dancingbaehr; 05-20-2022 at 09:44 AM.

6. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jo,

Looks like you got off to a good start with your new crochet group. It will be lots of fun and good times teaching and learning together.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Jo, I received a newsletter from "I like Crochet" on "How to teach Crochet to beginners"
    I read it and thought about you and your new group. It had some great ideas that can help you with plans and things for your group.

Here is the link.
    How to Teach Crochet to Beginners - I Like Crochet
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Jo, I received a newsletter from "I like Crochet" on "How to teach Crochet to beginners"
    I read it and thought about you and your new group. It had some great ideas that can help you with plans and things for your group.

Here is the link.
    How to Teach Crochet to Beginners - I Like Crochet
    Spoula
    Hi Spoula. Thank you for the link. I haven't read it yet, but appreciate you sending it. I'm sure there are a lot of good ideas there. I have only taught crochet one-on-one before, but never to a class. I'll look at the link today. You are so kind to think of me.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo

10. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ... even though it seems fairly rudimentary, the humble chain can be tricky to master!

I, myself, like to work into the back bump of the chain ... which gives a lovely finished edge and (imho) is less ambiguous than trying to decide which is the front, back or both loops of the chain.

The idea of a single crochet foundation row is great. I learned it only recently, and even as a seasoned crocheter found it challenging to learn ..... but it has become one of my favourite ways of starting a project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ellebelle,
    I don't use the single crochet foundation much, but need to get used to using it. I think I have only used it twice. I do like to work into the back bump of the chain, for a much nicer look. I think I will teach my class this technique. It will be easier for them to see the bump and their work will look much better. As of right now, there is only one lady who is an avid crocheter like me. It is pretty much "square one" for the rest of them. Luckily, I have plenty of patience and understanding.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo