Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The double crochet?

The 'Double Crochet' used to be to put your first double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook and chain 3 at the end of the row. Maybe some people still ch 3 for double crochet but I've heard that if you ch 2 at the end of a dc row then the sides would be straighter and I like the ch 2 for the double crochet but does that mean that the double crochet is the 3rd ch from the hook instead of from the 4th ch from the hook?

The single crochet is the 2nd ch from the hook and the half double crochet would be the 3rd ch from the hook cause it's a ch 2. So if the dc is the 3rd ch from the hook then the hdc and the dc would be putting the hook in the same ch(3rd ch) when starting and chaining 2 at the end of the row which would be alright. So, does anybody know what ch that the first dc is in - the 3rd or the 4th ch from the hook on the foundation chain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I learned to make a DC in the third chain from the hook. When I see dc in the 4th chain from the hook that makes a chain 1 plus a dc. Some patterns call for that.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I learned to make a DC in the third chain from the hook. When I see dc in the 4th chain from the hook that makes a chain 1 plus a dc. Some patterns call for that.

Spoula
    Hi Spoula,

I have an old crochet book. For the double crochet it says to skip 3 chains and insert hook into 4th chain from hook and at the end of foundation chain to complete double crochet and chain 3. Today it's chain 2 at the end of the row so you don't have that gap and the sides are straighter. If single crochet is a ch 1 at the end of the row and putting the hook in the 2nd ch from the hook when starting the row and half double crochet is a ch 2 at the end of the row and in the 3rd ch from the hook when starting the row then double crochet would be ch 2 at the end of the row and to put hook in 3rd ch from the hook when starting the row.

The number of chains that you skip at the beginning of the row is the number that you chain at the end of the row.