Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

magic circle and a marker

When crocheting in the magic circle I like be able to crochet without a marker so I know where the beginning of my project is. But then, without a marker, I forget where I am but I still try crocheting without a marker. Sometimes I can crochet without a marker and I get half way or more and lose count. I then try to figure out where I'm at.(I guess I'm not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition.) Then I take it out and start all over again.Then I use the marker again but now again I'm crocheting without a marker. I don't like when the marker is in the way and other times I'm glad I have a marker in my crocheting.

Sometimes crocheting without a marker works out.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-08-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

magic circle

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    When crocheting in the magic circle I like be able to crochet without a marker so I know where the beginning of my project is. But then, without a marker, I forget where I am but I still try crocheting without a marker. Sometimes I can crochet without a marker and I get half way or more and lose count. I then try to figure out where I'm at.(I guess I'm not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition.) Then I take it out and start all over again.Then I use the marker again but now again I'm crocheting without a marker. I don't like when the marker is in the way and other times I'm glad I have a marker in my crocheting.

Sometimes crocheting without a marker works out.
    I sometimes use a different colored thread as it does not get in the way especially
    when using finer yarns for amigurumi. Markers seem to distort the stitch. I never do without a marker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you elproct

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried different things for markers (a back from a pin (that you pin on a shirt) I've also tried safety pins, and those round plastic markers that open and close but those all seem too big. I've also tried a piece of yarn (sometimes that seems to work) but now I'm trying a piece of thread again like you suggested and your right it doesn't get in your way of crocheting. I liked the idea of a paper clip cause you can just put it right into the crochet work but then it's harder to crochet because the paper clip is in the way and I have to hold the paper clip so it's not in the way when crocheting and then sometimes the yarn still gets caught in the paper clip. I'll probably just use a piece of thread or yarn for a marker. I also tried another clip but it didn't stay fastened and sometimes it would fall out of my crochet work and then it broke. A piece of thread works good. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 11-28-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you use a piece of thread for a marker, do you tie the thread?

I have a problem with sometimes my marker(thread) falling out. I normally count when crocheting, even if I have a marker in my work but I have crocheted without counting before, which isn't usual. So, if the marker falls out and I don't know where I am on my work or I have the wrong count; let's say 7 sts instead of 8 sts, then I try to find out where I went wrong and end up taking it out and starting over.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 11-28-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using markers more now than ever. This fall I have been making stuffed items and need to have a marker to know where the row began. Maybe it takes a little bit longer to do a row when I have to move the marker but hate to lose my count or where I was to start. If I could get my pictures posted, I would show what has been made.