Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what you mean by pooling? I just manually roll the skein into a ball, easy as pie if you pay attention!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by pooling? I just manually roll the skein into a ball, easy as pie if you pay attention!

Hi MeToo,

Here is a video that shows you how to do it. I have seen other ways to do it also.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    Hi MeToo!, When you roll your yarn into a ball, do you leave the end of the yarn out (or make sure you can see the end of the yarn while rolling it into a ball. I have done this but not always when rolling yarn into a ball. I normally just crochet from the skein of yarn and I don't always take the yarn from the center of the skein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, girls. I hope this comment isn't too long.

Spoula, I've never used Red Hearts pooling type yarn. Looks as if you get a beautiful effect if you know what you are doing. How about you. Thanks for that interesting video, in any case.

JM, do you ever experience tangles or other such problems when crocheting from the skein just as you bought it in the store? The 2nd video - that woman is of course correct about the difficulty in finding the yarn tail.

In your first video, I found that winding method on the thumb really good but nevertheless that is not what I do. I don't buy hanks of yarn, I buy your regular skeins, as the woman there illustrated. I do not like crocheting from such a structure (skein) as inevitably a tangle somehow manages to create itself when I reach the end of the skein, except where you have a fairly thick, somewhat stiff variety of yarn. But for sock-weight yarn, I have to make my balls in my own way.

I convert skeins into plain old balls, a solid, firm sphere like a baseball, using my pointing finger to start out, , then sliding it off and just shaping a perfect ball. Fun & relaxing. No hole at the center, not interested in "center-pull", don't see any advantage (at least not for me). It doesn't concern me that the ball jumps about when crocheting, as I place it into a deep, small kitchen bowl. Voila. Someone else here (ging36ging) mentioned using a bag. Never a tangle or a knot or anything. I used to see these solid, spherical balls at home or at my grandmother's. That is what they did.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your videos and interest in this topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    your welcome and Happy Thanksgiving! If I can't find the end of the yarn in the middle of the skein or the yarn pulls tight from the center or I think the yarn is too wrinkled from the center of the skein or I don't want to bother with it, I crochet with the yarn from the outside of the skein. If I'm crocheting and come to a place that is tangled I stop crocheting and untangle the yarn. I used to untangle yarn a lot and that takes a long time. I feel that rolling skeins of yarn into balls is a waste of time. I have put skeins of yarn into balls of yarn a long time ago and I used to untangle yarn a lot, more like all the time. The center pull ball (as in the videos above) is so you can pull the yarn from the center (middle) of the ball of yarn. No, I haven't used hanks of yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I haven't used hanks of yarn.

Re hanks. I don't know about recently, but in the past I can recall so many cartoons where a hapless husband, with a scowl on his face, is holding his hands apart with the hank, so his wife can make a ball of yarn out of it.

Hope you have had, or are still having, a lovely Thanksgiving Day. The parade they have in New York seems to be getting a little worse every year, though.