Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

New pattern question

So I have just started a new pattern. I have attached a photo and the link. It was a free pattern. It is constructed in lengthwise panels. . I started Panel A and came up against a question and have not been able to get ahold of the designer. Here it is:

Panel A (make 2)

SPECIAL STITCHES
    Front post treble crochet (FPtr): Yo (twice), insert hook from front to back to front again around the post of next designated st, yo, draw yarn though st, (yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hk) 3 times, sk st behind FPtr just made.

Cable A (Cbl-A): Sk next 2 sts, FPtr around the post of next st, BPdc around the post of 2nd skipped st, FPtr around the post of 1st skipped st.

Cable B (Cbl-B): Sk next 2 sts, FPtr around the post of next st, BPdc around the post of 2nd skipped st, working under the front post just made, work FPtr around the post of 1st skipped st.

PATTERN STITCH
    Ch 25 (25, 25, 29, 29).

Foundation row: Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across, turn— 23 (23, 23, 27, 27) sts.
    Row 1 (RS): Ch 2, BPdc around the post of next st, *Cbl-A across next 3 sts, BPdc around the post of next st; rep from * across, ending with hdc in last st, turn.

So…I start with 23 stitches after my row of Dc. I BPdc the first stitch (one stitch). The pattern stitch covers 4 stitches and is worked 5 times (20 stitches). Then there is a HDC in the last stitch (one stitch). That adds up to 22 stitches, not 23. Have I missed an instruction somewhere for a stitch?
    I also checked the instructions for Panel B and I found the same thing - that I am “short” a stitch.

What do you think? I can’t seem to attach my photo!! But here is the pin -

Free crochet pattern: To Aran Is Human - The Crochet Dude | Crochet cardigan pattern free, Crochet sweater pattern free, Mens crochet
    Last edited by NancyMcQuade; 07-13-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see 3 stitches on the Cable A Stitch on Panel A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Row 1 (RS): Ch 2, BPdc around the post of next st, *Cbl-A across next 3 sts, BPdc around the post of next st; rep from * across, ending with hdc in last st, turn.

The foundation row is 23 sts. Row 1: Bpdc (1 st), Cbl-A (3 sts), Bpdc around post of next st (1 st), hdc in last st (1 st) = 6 sts

The way I read it there should be 26 sts on the foundation row. 5x4 is 20 + the 6 sts when you start the row.

I just chained 25 and dc'd in the 4th ch from hook and then counted how many sts I would have and I came up with 22 dc sts I would have, that's with counting the 3 chains(cause you dc in the 4th ch then you have 3 chains that you skipped) as a dc.

I think I get it. 5x4=20 plus the extra bpdc at the beginning and then the hdc in the last st =22 sts

4. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Jean Marie,
    You must spend a lot of time answering posts! Not only answering but going to the trouble of working through the actual pattern yourself. You are very kind.
    I feel somewhat vindicated! I always hate asking a question because for some more experienced crocheters it may be really obvious. So 22 stitches after Row 1 is correct. The way it is written seems to me to be a bit odd but I am making a note in the pattern that I am working with 22 stitches and not 23 after Row 1. I have worked through the first row myself now and am very happy! Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your Welcome and No, I don't spend a lot of time answering posts. There's not a lot of people on crochet talk asking questions. I like to help if I can.There used to be more people asking for help on CT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a sense of why that is the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    This pattern is really off. I got to Row 5 and found that I was short a stitch (got 21 stitches following the pattern). I had to add in a BPdc to get to 22 stitches and get the cable right����. Will keep you up to speed on this one. Do you think I should send another email to the designer?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get in touch with the designer, ask her for a video of the pattern and tell her the problems you've been having.

I read row 1 again. From the star(where you're supposed to repeat across row) - that's 4 sts. 4x5=20+the 2 sts in the beginning before the star = 22 sts + the hdc at the end of the row = 23 sts.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 07-14-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How's your crocheting this pattern coming along?