Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Left handed crocheters

How difficult was it to learn how to crochet? Who taught you to crochet, someone right or left handed or did you learn on your own?

Post Thanks / Like
    H, Grandma G,

I am left-handed, but I crochet right -handed because I only write and catch left-handed. I taught myself to crochet using a kit from Walmart. I needed additional information which I finally found on YouTube. I was struggling with the ends of my rows being completely uneven. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong until I watched a tutorial on YouTube and realized that I was crocheting into my turning chain instead of the last stitch of the previous row. I wrote a post about it and posted it on this forum titled For Us Crocheters Whose Rows Are Uneven. I am so happy to be here and have gotten a wealth of information I would have never figured out on my own.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm right handed but I have taught left handed people to crochet and it was not easy, my coworker is a lefty and I taught her how to crochet, it was somewhat trying but she is doing fine now, only she just wants to make things not learn the stitches, so I'm trying to get her to practice her stitches and she will have an easier rime learning and getting faster. I work in the mental health field and I help one of our case managers teach crochet to some of our clients and they love it, but again all they want to do is make hats, scraves and blankets not learn stitches, so it is a bit of a challenge, but you have to see their faces when they finish something, it's worth it.

4. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was taught by a right handed person. She was patient and I only had her for a few weeks, the rest was self taught....can pic patterns help?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am right handed. My mother showed me how to create an afghan. I am a visual person, so I picked right up on it. I still have some difficulty with reading patterns, which for me takes time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am left-handed. My Grandmother, MeMe', taught me mirror style sitting opposite me and showing and telling me at the same time. I can read mirror writing too! I try not to use left and right directions in my patterns because to leftys the next stitch is to the right,and to rightys the next stitch is to the left,correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am left handed with everything I am self taught because I learned from books and a little in homemaking class

Post Thanks / Like
    My youngest is a lefty, and I tried every way I could think of to teach her to crochet myself, but we just couldn't figure it out. I finally found a sweet lady who had a yarn shop hidden away in her basement way off the beaten path! LOL She was able to teach her!!! She loves it!

Post Thanks / Like
    nice story...thanks for sharing...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a self taught lefty - I did take a class a long time ago (35 yrs) and teacher had trouble helping me so I just had to listen to her, try it, then she could look at it and see if it was right - but nowadays there is technology to help us - UTube has some wonderful crochet tutorials for lefties