Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

So your pinky isn't sore when crocheting - what I did

I'm right handed and when crocheting, the yarn that slides through on my left hand was making between my finger and pinky sore so I got some stretchy gauze and wrapped it around my pinky so between my pinky and finger on my left hand it wouldn't be sore when crocheting. It works. My pinky or between the pinky and finger isn't sore when crocheting. Thought you might want to try this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I am right handed also and I keep the yarn or thread in my left hand and between my little finger and ring finger. I was taught to let it slide easily and you don't get the pull on your little finger or between them. There is some writings on this method on the Internet for beginners on how to hold the yarn. I know you are not a beginner and neither am I but I did learn some neat tricks. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The only one that does not work for me is the one where you crochet a finger guard to keep your tension the same. I tried it and it did keep the tension even but I went back the way I am use to. Old habits die hard.
    Spoula

3. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how a finger guard would deep the tension even but I have found that some yarns make your pinky or between your pinky and ring finger more sore than other yarns. The thinner the yarn the more sore it would be between your pinky and ring finger. The sliding of the yarn between your pinky and ring finger is what makes it sore.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jean Marie;225173]I don't know how a finger guard would deep the tension even

Hi Jean Marie, Here is the video it was called a regulator to hold you tension.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I'm using a size F crochet hook. If I make the tension regulator I would put it on my pinky of my left hand not my middle finger. I'm not using the stretchy gauze to wrap around my pinky when crocheting. I might try it again sometime I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie is this how you hold your yarn?

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Jean Marie is this how you hold your yarn?

Spoula
    Probably the same way you do. With my left hand facing up I wrap the yarn around my pinky and turn my hand so the yarn goes around the back of my hand and hold the yarn w/my thumb and 3rd finger next to the crochet hook w/my forefinger pointing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Probably the same way you do. With my left hand facing up I wrap the yarn around my pinky and turn my hand so the yarn goes around the back of my hand and hold the yarn w/my thumb and 3rd finger next to the crochet hook w/my forefinger pointing up.
    Hi Jean Marie, I don't have the yarn over the top of my hand as you do.
    Looks like you have a better grip with the way you do it and maybe that is why your pinkie gets sore. I am thinking because if you wrap the yarn it does not glide as easily.

I think it really does not matter how you hold the yarn what ever works for you is what is best and your crochet work is very nice.

This is how I catch the yarn with my pinkie finger I do not wrap it I just bend my pinkie over the yarn and pass it under the next two fingers (palm side). Then up and over the first finger. I hold the working yarn over my first finger and hold that finger up for tension.

This may be awkward for some but when I learned to crochet from my mother my hands were small and she put the yarn on my fingers the best she could so I could try. I started with a size 10 steel hook and size 10 or 20 thread. I still have that hook it has turned a little black from age but still works. I did not start crocheting again from the time I learned until I had my own children. I wanted to surprise my mother and made her something for her birthday she was very surprised. Maybe because it was not very good or because I had discovered yarn. Maybe I forgot how she put the thread on my hands and I just guessed so mine may not be the right way to hold it.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't take the yarn with my right hand and wrap it around my left hand. With my left hand facing up I grab the yarn with my pinky of my left hand and then I turn my left hand and the yarn wraps around the back of my hand.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    No, I understood how you do it and it made sense. The difference between you and the way I do it is that I don't have the yarn across the top of my hand. I have all the yarn underhand and only over the first finger..

I just looked at the video that I attached before and the way she says she does her way is like the way I do it
    Last edited by spoula; 02-06-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Additional line