Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Mandala Cakes

Hi Everyone

I hope your Christmas was wonderful and full of joy with family. I have been MIA for a bit, but will try to be more present on the forum now. I am trying to be more crochet focused as I have about 4 projects going at the same time and not getting any where with them....LOL

I received last Christmas (2019) several cakes of beautiful Mandala yarn. I have not used them as I don't know how. Do you just start to crochet and keep going as the cake changes shades? Do you stop at each shade and find where it begins again? How do you do this?

So confused or am I old fashioned?
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teri,
    Welcome back to the forum. I purchased some of those big cakes that came in multiple colors. I saw a free pattern on the Internet from The Lavender chair I like her patterns and they work up nice. I used her Ring around the Rosie Vest pattern to see how this yarn would work.
    I did not use it the way it came off the ball. I unwound each color and cut it from the cake. It was a long tedious job of cutting and rewrapping the individual balls. It depends on what kind of look you want. I also purchased another one that had several colors of blues and I made her a sweater using the yarn how it rolled off the cake and it turned out cute. The possibilities are endless.

Here is the pattern I used she has many other patterns that use these cakes. Hers was by Caron. I used that for the wrap vest for the sweater I used the Mandala cake.
    Ring Around the Rosie Vest Crochet Pattern - The Lavender Chair

I hope this helps,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoula

Ok ....that makes sense. Not enjoying to have to make balls of yarn from skeins I don't think I would like to unwrap these. LOL
    so then....use it how ever you like ...correct?

4. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh I love that vest on Lavender Chair ....really nice!

6. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have other patterns for adults with different colors too. I made my little vest the same color as the pattern I sent to you but I cut each color and did not pull from the cake. The picture of the one I made is on this forum under the pictures folder somewhere.

Here is the link.
    Circular Vest Collection - The Lavender Chair

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you are correct you can use as it comes off the spool or cut it like I did but that is not fun.

Spoula

9. Likes Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I use the yarn just as it comes off the cake. I love the changes. I don’t have the patience for cutting,rolling,etc. I feel that one might as well use individual colors if that is what one intends. The flow of one color to another is so surprising and keeps me interested. Of course,as you say, anything goes! imalefty

11. Likes Teri, spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning Imalefty
    I am with you there about not wanting to unravel the entire cake to get individual colors....and yes the color change would keep one interested in the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Imalefty, LOL

I agree with you I did not like cutting all that yarn either. I wanted it to look like the pattern so I purchased the same yarn that was used in the pattern. It was a big cake and way to big for the little vest I wanted to make. That is why I had to cut into smaller pieces or the vest would have been all one color.
    Spoula

14. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teri! I used 2 mandala cakes to make a lapghan for my mom. For the most part I used it as it came off the roll, but I did cut the brown off and used it for the middle; the other two sides were mirror images. I also cut a color short if it didn't complete a row. So my work wasn't nearly as intensive as Spoula's - mine was kind of a blend of the two. (This photo doesn't show it off to the best, but it was the only one the system would accept!)

Beautiful Mandala Cakes-img_0756-copy-2-jpg

16. Likes Teri, spoula liked this post