Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55
    Beautiful colors....I see how it graduates. I suppose the best way to use Mandala cakes is to make afghans and lapgans to see the colors at their best. Something that is going to be flat. I haven't seen it used in clothing....hats or sweaters. I have seen scarfs, though. But then again, scarfs are flate
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

2. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi NovA55, i like this lap blanket you made. Very pretty colors what is the stitch you used?
    I had to laugh when you wrote my work was intensive.
    I think everything I have made lately is intensive(ha).

I love your work but I don't remember seeing this blanket. I am so glad you shared this one with us.
    Spoula

4. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Spoula! The stitch I used on this technically doesn't have a name. I saw a small video by a Russian lady who of course was speaking Russian, but her video was so good I was able to follow everything she did. Then when I went back to find it, I couldn't. So I made a video of myself showing how to do the stitch. Now I can't find that either; maybe it's on my external hard drive. It's very similar to the Crossed Double Crochet stitch, but instead of working the second dc over the 1st dc from the front side, I worked the 2nd dc from the back side. I also had to alternate the next row to create the "X" / diamond pattern. Then I'd end each row with a straight dc. I don't guarantee that these are complete instructions! BTW, mandala yarn is great but it pills horribly. This once beautiful lapghan looks like a rag now, after about 3 years use.

Beautiful Mandala Cakes-img_0760-copy-jpg

6. Likes Teri, spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    really pretty stitch

8. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cake tonal yarns are meant for larger projects where you will see one tone flow nicely into the next. However, if you are making something small like a hat or a baby's item you may get only the first tone in the ball and maybe a bit of the next and then that's the end of your item. The end result may not be to your liking. You want all or at least several of the tones.

10. Likes Nova55, spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning MeToo!
    That makes sense! I suppose an adult poncho or a blanket would be nice with cakes of Mandala. So that is what you are
    saying? Correct? So that you can see the color variations as the piece gets larger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, Exactly, that is why I cut my yarn so I could choose what color I wanted on the back and the front. I still have all those cuts of yarn rolled up that I didn't use in my little vest. I thought I might make little squares of each color and make a little blanket or Barbie clothes for my little granddaughter she loves to take off and put on clothes for Barbie.

Spoula

13. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Good Morning MeToo!
    That makes sense! I suppose an adult poncho or a blanket would be nice with cakes of Mandala. So that is what you are
    saying? Correct? So that you can see the color variations as the piece gets larger.
    Right you are!

"Gradient yarns are skeins or cakes that gradually fade from one color to the next, either tonally or into other hues, saving you from weaving in color change ends!"

I prefer tonal myself, ie, dark to light of the same basic colour.

15. Likes Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bag o Day crochet has a super tutorial on color control with yarn on YouTube. It’s easier than I expected. imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    imalefty...thanks for that info. I will look it up.

I see you are from NJ. I moved out of Jersey in 2006. Where are you? I was born in Newark and moved to Ocean County, (Bayville) in 1985. We had a farm there where we took in unwanted farm animals. (We are vegan) But Bayville got built up way too quickly and so we moved to Central NY State along with our animals. Love it here. Very rural. Cell service is difficult but it was in Bayville too when we were living there.