Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who do Amigurumi crochet

I was wondering how you keep the stuffing from coming out of a Amigurumi Crochet and then I came across this
    Amigurumi Tips and Tricks for Crocheting Stuffed Objects

I would still like to know what you do to keep the stuffing from falling out. Sometimes the stuffing (I use yarn ends and sometimes polyester fiberfill for stuffing) will stay in but sometimes it comes out. I have one of those cocoons for a baby that I crocheted a long time agothat I used it to keep my yarn ends in. Recently I thought of making it into a pillow so I stuffed it w/yarn ends and most of the pieces stayed in but some of the yarn ends came out and if it was washed in the wash machine I don't think that too many yarn ends (the stuffing) would stay in. Most of the yarn ends would probably come out in the wash machine.

I have at least 2 walmart bags of yarn ends. I want to use them. I thought of using them for stuffing or for firnges or maybe for a hook it rug; but it doesn't look like I'm going to get a blank hook it rug or use it for fringes (most of the pieces wouldn't be long enough for fringes). Some pieces are longer. I have used the yarn pieces (pieces that you cut from doing a project) to stuff a sock to rest my hand on when on the laptop.

2. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Jean

I haven't been to the form in a while but you are a a familiar face : ) Great to see you.

I make a lot of amigurumi pieces and always use only fiberfill, never yarn pieces as a lot of people do. I feel that the fiberfill gives a more mold-able finish. I also find that if the project asks for a G hook which most do, I will use an F hook to keep the stitches closer together. I like a tighter stitch. Maybe stuff is coming out because your stitches are too large for the filling. Just my 2 cents.
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

4. Likes spoula, Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie! I have made probably 200+ amigurumis. Never stuffed with anything but poly fil. But I know the stitches must be tightly done so the stuffing doesn’t show or come out. I see no reason why you couldn’t use a combination of stuffing and yarn ends as long as your stitches are tight enough. imalefty

6. Likes Teri, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Teri and imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the stitches must be tighter than what you would normally do. I also use poly fill for my animals and have never had a problem.
    The yarn ends in a child sock along with catnip would be a cute toy for a cat.
    Another idea is to make a sack of some kind to put the yarn ends in and then inside of the crocheted item you are making.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 3catlady.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do one of 2 things or sometimes both. Use a smaller hook so the stitches are tight. Also you can use a old nylon, stuff the nylon then insert the nylon into your work. This is also a good technique if your work is a dark color and you don't want the white stuffing showing.

Yes you can definitely use yard ends. Just put them in either an old nylon or a sock and then stuff tour work with it. Works perfect.
    Last edited by murnah; 01-30-2021 at 07:59 PM.

11. Likes Teri liked this post