Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: yarn label

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    I also have noticed a difference between variegated and solid colors even from the same company. We crocheters have to carefully check what yarns we put in the same project. imalefty
    Hello Imalefty, I just read your post to Jean Marie. I wanted to reply on this part of your post about variegated yarn.

I purchased 2 skeins of a coral variegated yarn and made a lap afghan. I started the first skein and when that yarn ran out I started with the next skein and started to notice that the second skein of yarn was thinner not as thick as the first skein. They were the same lot number and the same color.

I would not have noticed this difference by looking at them in the store because the difference in the yarn was in the middle of the skein.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    The color my neighbors wanted for the hats I made was a thinner yarn and I wanted the hats to be warm enough and I suggested putting another color with it and maybe even 3 yarns together. She liked the idea of putting another yarn with it (having 2 yarns together) and that I could put 2 or 3 yarns together that it was up to me. So I tried 3 yarns together cause you want a hat to be warm but 3 yarns together makes a hat too stiff. So I went with 2 yarns together but that took awhile to do because not only do the yarns twist and have to be untangled frequently but when crocheted you don't want your stitches crocheted with twisted yarn.

I didn't like that it was taking awhile to do, making sure the yarn was straight and not twisted, (I know I was the one who suggested 2 yarns together) when pulling the yarn through each of the 2 loops for a double crochet so I prayed asking the Lord to help me not to be too picky and to go faster with the hat I was working on and thanking Him for helping me with the other hat and for helping me even before I asked Him and I was able to go a bit faster and I got the 2nd pink hat done except that I have to put unicorns and flowers and leaves on the hat. oh, and ears too on top of the hat in the back. I'll probably put a face on it too even if it's just a couple of eyebrows like the picture shows. I'm glad my neighbor isn't picky and she likes the hats and my other neighbor wasn't picky either. I'm not sure if I prayed about the other 2 blue variegated hats I did but I know the Lord helped me with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    This might help -

Yarn weight - Wikipedia

It shows all the plys for the the standard weight yarns in the USA. For example, a #4 medium (worsted) weight yarn in the USA would be considered a 10 or 12 ply in Europe. It also shows WIPs, or wraps per inch, for those who are interested.

4. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55, This comes in handy thanks for sharing.

Spoula

6. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post