Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: yarn label

Post Thanks / Like

yarn label

when a yarn label says a 4 medium does that mean it's a 4 ply yarn? It's a pretty thin yarn so my guess is that it's not a 4 ply unless each strand is real thin and it is a 4 ply?
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-05-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    when a yarn label says a 4 medium does that mean it's a 4 ply yarn? It's a pretty thin yarn so my guess is that it's not a 4 ply unless each strand is real thin and it is a 4 ply?
    Hi Jean Marie,

4 medium weight yarn is a superfine yarn.

If it is listed as 4ply it could be a DK weight yarn which is thicker

Post Thanks / Like
    This may assist you in what all of the markings on a yarn label mean:
    How to Read Yarn Labels - Easy Knitting Lesson

How to Read a Yarn Label | Lion Brand Notebook

I have found these to be very helpful and I hope you do too!

4. Thanks spoula, ramblyambly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto8 View Post
    This may assist you in what all of the markings on a yarn label mean:
    How to Read Yarn Labels - Easy Knitting Lesson

How to Read a Yarn Label | Lion Brand Notebook

I have found these to be very helpful and I hope you do too!
    Thank you Momto8

Post Thanks / Like
    You are most welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that some yarn labels can be somewhat inaccurate. Depending on many factors a #4 can vary from company to company. Other weights also can be incorrect. Some 4s are closer to 3s. Bulky yarn is often not what the label states. I just go with my own opinion regarding some yarns and consider what I am going to create with it. imalefty

8. Likes spoula, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi imalefty, I like your post you are so right. I do the same as you by looking at the yarn color I want and what I am going to make and choose the yarn that way.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula! Isn’t it surprising how different the yarns can be? I have taken 3 or more skeins/cakes and put them next to each other. Though the label numbers are the same the thickness of the yarns can be so different. As you said we have to choose by what we are making and the color. Have a great,safe day! imalefty

11. Likes spoula, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my yarn doesn't have a label. I do have some yarns that have labels. I have Bernat and RedHeart yarn which are a 4 medium. The thickness of the Bernat yarn and RedHeart yarn seems about the same but I have a blue variegated yarn that's Bernat but is a bit thinner than the other Bernat yarn I have. The Caron simply soft yarn is what I was referring to at the beginning of this post. The Caron simply soft yarn says it's a 4 medium but it's pretty thin. There are 4 strands of yarn so it is a 4. I have some 'yarn bee soft secret' yarn which also says it's a 4 medium. It's about the same thickness as the thinner Bernat yarn(blue variegated yarn) but it's a bit thinner than the blue variegated yarn (Bernat yarn). Then I have some 'value' yarn which has a different feel to it. It also says it's a 4 medium. It's a little thicker than than the regular Bernat 4 medium yarn. Other than that I have some pretty thick yarns and some baby yarn.

Did you catch that I have 2 different Bernat yarns? and 1 skein is thinner than the other skein yet they are both a 4 medium. They are both super value yarns although one skein is 5 oz and the other one is 7 oz. The thinner yarn is a variegated yarn. The thicker yarn is a solid white color.

I also have some charisma yarn and some ribbon yarn.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-14-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie! Your yarns are a perfect example of how thick/thin yarns with the same number can be. I try to keep the labels with the yarn. Caron Simply Soft is thinner and crochets up smaller than other 4s. I notice thickness differences especially with my amigurumis. Mixing thick and thin yarns can ruin those projects. I also have noticed a difference between variegated and solid colors even from the same company. We crocheters have to carefully check what yarns we put in the same project. imalefty