Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The seed stitch?

I'm crocheting sc and in the next st a dc and then a sc and a dc and a sc in the next st and a dc in the next st and at the end of the row if my last st of the row is a dc I ch1, turn and sc in the first st of the next row and if my last st of the row is a sc I ch2, turn and dc in the first st of the next row. I thought this was the Jane throw. I looked it up. As far as I know this is the seed stitch but I looked that up too and the rows all end w/the same st - all rows end w/ a sc or all rows end w/ a dc on the seed st on the computer. The one I'm doing is one row ends with the last st of the row being a sc and the next row ends w/the last st of the row being a dc. I thought maybe what I'm crocheting is a variation of the seed stitch. I looked that up too and couldn't find the one I'm crocheting.

I know I'm crocheting the seed st across the row but what is it called that one row ends w/sc and the next row ends w/a dc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I don't know if there is a name for the stitch being different on each row. It is supposed to be that way every other row. It looks like you are doing it correctly except if you use an even number of stitches what ever stitch you start with on the first row you should also have the same stitch at the end of the row. There are many variations of this stitch so maybe you are using one of those and that is why you are getting a different stitch at the end of a row.

This is the basic seed stitch that I have used and you have to I think at one time.
    Start with an even number of stitches. Doesn't matter if you start with a DC then a SC and so on the last stitch in the row will be the same as the first stitch. If you end with a dc you chain 1 because when you turn your work you will be making a sc on top of the dc you just made if you end with a sc you chain 2 to make your dc.

You will have one row where you have sc in first stitch sc in the last stitch
    Next row you will have dc in first stitch and dc in the last stitch

Row 1: sc, dc, sc, dc ,sc,
    Row 2: dc, sc, dc, sc, dc,
    Row 3: sc dc sc dc sc

Row 4: dc, sc, dc sc dc

This seed stitch is like the knitting stitch where you knit one then you purl one when you turn your work you will be knitting the purls and purl the knits. In crochet you sc in the dc and dc in the sc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jean Marie, I don't know if there is a name for the stitch being different on each row. It is supposed to be that way every other row. It looks like you are doing it correctly except if you use an even number of stitches what ever stitch you start with on the first row you should also have the same stitch at the end of the row. There are many variations of this stitch so maybe you are using one of those and that is why you are getting a different stitch at the end of a row.

This is the basic seed stitch that I have used and you have to I think at one time.
    Start with an even number of stitches. Doesn't matter if you start with a DC then a SC and so on the last stitch in the row will be the same as the first stitch. If you end with a dc you chain 1 because when you turn your work you will be making a sc on top of the dc you just made if you end with a sc you chain 2 to make your dc.

You will have one row where you have sc in first stitch sc in the last stitch
    Next row you will have dc in first stitch and dc in the last stitch

Row 1: sc, dc, sc, dc ,sc,
    Row 2: dc, sc, dc, sc, dc,
    Row 3: sc dc sc dc sc

Row 4: dc, sc, dc sc dc

This seed stitch is like the knitting stitch where you knit one then you purl one when you turn your work you will be knitting the purls and purl the knits. In crochet you sc in the dc and dc in the sc.
    Hi Spoula,
    That's what I'm doing. One row ends with a sc. The next row ends in a dc. And the row after that ends in a sc and so on. I know it's a seed stitch but I'm not ending with the last stitch being a sc on every row or the last stitch being a dc on every row. On the computer I saw that the seed stitch ends with a sc being the last stitch on every row or a dc being the last stitch on every row. That's why I asked about this.

I counted 95 sts across the row. I start and end with the same stitch. Anotherwords if I start with a sc at the beginning of the row and I end with a sc being the last stitch of the row. I don't know how it works out to be the same st at the end of the row when I counted 95 sts but it does.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I counted 95 sts across the row. I start and end with the same stitch. Anotherwords if I start with a sc at the beginning of the row and I end with a sc being the last stitch of the row. I don't know how it works out to be the same st at the end of the row when I counted 95 sts but it does.

Hi Jean Marie,
    I don't know how that is working for you but if it is than that's ok I guess.

The seed stitch uses even numbers so 95 should not work unless you want different stitches at each end of a row. I think it might change the fabric look you want.

If you are using even numbers in your foundation chain and end of with a different stitch at the end check your row to see if you did the same stitch in the top of the last stitch you did it should be the opposite stitch. DC on top of sc, sc on top of dc.
    I have made that mistake before as it is natural to see a dc and want to put a dc on top of that one.
    Last edited by spoula; 06-26-2020 at 05:09 AM.

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post