Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

leftover pieces of yarn after the yarn is weaved through on a project?

As you can see, I don't like knots in my work but what do you do with leftover pieces of yarn? Use it for fringes? But what if I don't have anything that I want to put fringes on? Then what? It seems like a waste to throw away. Yarn is expensive.

leftover pieces of yarn after the yarn is weaved through on a project?-100_6985-jpg
    These are leaves and I have a lot of yarn ends to weave in. I have used yarn ends for stuffing but I have a lot of yarn ends from weaving in yarn and I don't normally make something that uses stuffing. I also have some polyester fiberfill.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you could elaborate more on why there are so many of those little pieces, i can't quite tell via the picture.

i tend to start a project close, leaving next to no starting tail, dislike magic rings for the amount of yarn wasted at the beginning, because yes, yarn is incredibly expensive. i will frog something i've made to make something else, just to have yarn and the ability to hook *anything*.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had some yarn pieces that I crocheted with and kept adding more yarn pieces so I could crochet. I normally don't have that many ends. I might end up frogging those leaves pictured above. If I'm crocheting a circle I usually use a magic ring because I think it uses less yarn and because I can pull the hole closed tighter. When making the magic circle I found out that I have to make the magic circle close to the end but I have used the chain 4 or 5 for a circle and using the chain to make a circle a person has more of a grip on it. I have a lot of yarn ends from over the years and I have tied some of the pieces together and wound in a ball and I did use some yarn tied together but I eventually cut the knots out of the yarn so I'm not sure what to do with all those yarn ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    ah, so the leaves themselves are scraps as well, gotcha!

i have seen a few times, usually Pintrest posts, of ways to take ends of yarn and wrap them or weave them together to skip out on the knotting problem, to make a "smoother" color change in a project. That may be helpful.

If you could show me the way to make a magic ring without the long end -mine tends to be long enough that i could've chained it into a starting ring- i'd like that! i'm not adverse to the magic rings, i LOVE how you can pull them nice and tight, and i've even changed some projects to use a magic ring to make the center look nicer, it just seems like a waste at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the way I do it. I found out that it helps to make the magic ring closer to the end of the yarn because when you pull the magic ring it'll pull more yarn. Also, I take the magic ring off my fingers before the ch1.

6. Thanks ramblyambly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like