Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

crocheting too long I guess

My thumb is sore. Been crocheting awhile. I crocheted 2 granny squares and almost have a 3rd granny square done. I need to finish the 6th rnd with a ch and a ss and 3 more ss to get to the corner so I can start the next rnd. It's the classic granny square. Each square is 7 rounds or squares. I'm right handed. It's the thumb on my left hand that's sore. It's not the thumb that's sore but on the bottom of the thumb, the left bone on the bottom of the thumb that's sore and a little red. When I crochet and put pressure on the pad of my thumb it puts pressure on the bone on the bottom of my thumb where it's sore.

That was last night. After a night of sleep my thumb wasn't as red and I could tell by feeling it, it was a little sore but that didn't stop me from crocheting.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 04-06-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem, especially when I'm crocheting something that needs/has tight stitches. I was diagnosed with arthritis at the base of both thumbs, the left one being the worse. I did get some cortisone shots, but what I've found works is 1) taking a little break from crocheting (), or 2) I bought a cheap thumb splint from China that tightens with velcro and I slip in a gel "ice cube" (about 2 1/2" x 3") over the base of my thumb. I bought the gel ice cubes online; they come in a flat sheet. You cut out the number you need, soak them face down in water, it absorbs the water, and then you throw them in the freezer. The ice cubes will give off a little water as they melt, but not so much as to make a mess - and the ice cubes are reusable. The ice cuts the pain and swelling and you can still crochet! Win win!

3. Thanks ramblyambly thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55, What a niffty trick. I would never have thought about that.

You are always so very informative and you share such nice things.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I wear those thumb grippers when crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like arthritis is setting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    My thumb is sore. Been crocheting awhile. I crocheted 2 granny squares and almost have a 3rd granny square done. I need to finish the 6th rnd with a ch and a ss and 3 more ss to get to the corner so I can start the next rnd. It's the classic granny square. Each square is 7 rounds or squares. I'm right handed. It's the thumb on my left hand that's sore. It's not the thumb that's sore but on the bottom of the thumb, the left bone on the bottom of the thumb that's sore and a little red. When I crochet and put pressure on the pad of my thumb it puts pressure on the bone on the bottom of my thumb where it's sore.

That was last night. After a night of sleep my thumb wasn't as red and I could tell by feeling it, it was a little sore but that didn't stop me from crocheting.
    Arthritis can cause red painful flares. It comes and goes in different places on my fingers. I hope it gets better soon. Hookers ain't happy if we can't hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks but I don't have arthritis. It was just because I crocheted too long of a time in one sitting. It felt somewhat better after a night of sleep and the next day I was back to crocheting. I saw about exercising for crocheters and did the exercises for crocheters at first after crocheting a bit but now I don't do the exercises for crocheting so maybe that's why my thumb was a bit sore.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the feeling. I went to the doctor because my elbow was in pain. It turned out to be tennis elbow from crocheting. I guess the way I hold my yarn feeding hand, and move my finger up and down over the hook when looping the yarn over, caused it. I still didn't want to stop crocheting, but I had to while I did stretching exercises.
    After 53 years of crocheting..... TENNIS ELBOW?
    I am back to crocheting, but for shorter times. Now it takes longer to finish anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    After 53 years of crocheting..... TENNIS ELBOW?

LOL! I am not laughing at your problem, but the way you said this is amusing (to me, anyway!).

10. Likes spoula, ramblyambly liked this post