Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Having trouble frogging my work

Some time back I tried t to crochet a dress with just a picture - no pattern. I got the chest part and the sleeves and was starting to crochet the dress part. I decided I didn't want to crochet the dress anymore and now the color I need for the scarf or blanket I'm crocheting now is in the center of the dress so I'm frogging it and I can use the other colors too for flowers.

I can frog it for a row or two once I find the beginning but then when I get to another color I have a harder time frogging. Example: I'm frogging the blue yarn and when I pull the blue yarn and get the blue yarn up to the white yarn I can't just pull the blue because it won't just pull; if I can't figure out how the yarn goes to frog it then I cut it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can frog it for a row or two once I find the beginning but then when I get to another color I have a harder time frogging. Example: I'm frogging the blue yarn and when I pull the blue yarn and get the blue yarn up to the white yarn I can't just pull the blue because it won't just pull; if I can't figure out how the yarn goes to frog it then I cut it.

Sorry to hear that. I had similar trouble "frogging" a shawl when I realized that I'd made mistakes and needed to pull out quite a bit. The yarn has little hairy bits that tangle up when you pull it out. I ruined a fair bit of this beautiful yarn, "Nettle Grove" made by Plymouth Yarn. I just had to keep cutting it. What a heartbreaker; you can't get this yarn any more. Anyway, I did complete the shawl, the damn thing is about 9 ft. wide (but about 14" deep) and I don't really have a great deal of use for it, at that size. I just loved the yarn and wanted to make something. Maybe I can hang it like a curtain or something...

Jean Marie, what particular yarn is it that you are having trouble with?

3. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the yarn. I used 4-ply yarn as far as I know. Example: when I crocheted the sleeves I had to attach it to the other side of the dress and in attaching it I ss or sc and turned my work to go back the other way and ss or sc again to attach it again and then continue crocheting across the row. I sometimes will find where I snagged (where the stitch is between one thread (ply) of yarn and the other threads (plys) of yarn) the yarn when frogging. I have a bit to frog yet before I get to the color I wanted but I can use these other colors for flowers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, When I am making an item I have had to tear it out many times as it is eithher to big or to small. (I can never match the designers gauge) After many tries at getting the item right the yarn does have little bits that attach themselves. I don't try to continue to pull the main piece of yarn as that will only tighten it up more. What I do is pull slightly on the main piece of yarn while holding the piece it is stuck to and try to separate it. It works most of the time for me but if it is so locked in then I will cut it.
    I hate that your shawl got ruined.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, Sometimes the yarn gets stuck together. I have had that happen to me often while I try to copy the gauge of the pattern. I pull it out and when the yarn string gets stuck I hold the piece that it is stuck to and the piece I am trying to pull out and separate it. If that doesn't work then I would cut it but the first option works for me most of the time.

Spoula