Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    I get 8 scs. Here’s how I read it - ch1,sc in first dc,ch 3,sc in next dc,make sc,ch3,sc,ch3,sc in next dc. Sc ch3,sc,ch3,sc in next dc. You should have 8 scs.
    I get it now. I guess I'm a little slow. I understood it that what was in the parentheses was 2 times and what's in the brackets was'nt repeated that it was done only once but I see now that you repeat what's in the brackets too. I thought I was right but I was wrong.

2. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, I didn't think you meant me personally at least I hope not as I was only trying to help somebody that was having a problem.

I read the instructions that was posted and got 8 sc. I didn't understand how you got 6sc. I went back again to look after you wrote your post. I still got 8sc and went back to read what I wrote and I think that I confused you because I wrote brackets and did not write parentheses. When an instruction is written in a pattern that states do this 2 times and there are brackets you know to do just the brackets but when an instruction is written after both brackets and parentheses then you do brackets and parentheses twice also count your stitches at the end if you have 6 and not 8 then you know you should have done the brackets and the parentheses.
    Hope this helps
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    No Jean Marie it is not 6 it is 8. The pattern instructions says you have 8 sc. You have been helping folks on this forum for a long time so I know you would have re counted until you figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrane View Post
    Hello, I am attempting the Whysper Wrap by Noowul Designs but am stuck on row 3! I am only counting 6 sc and I'm supposed to have 8. Where am I missing two singles? Thanks so much

CH1, SC in first dc, CH 3, SC in next dc, CH 3, in next dc make [SC, CH 3, SC], (CH3, SC in next dc) 2 times, turn. (8 sc)
    Hi everyone! I really appreciate the discussion. I interpret the brackets as making those stitches in the same dc. I still came up with 6 instead of 8. After reading through all the responses, and going back to the project, I think it's just an error. I don't know if it's untested or not, but when I ignored the (8 sc) and moved on, it seems to be working out just fine. By the way, if you try the Wysper Wrap, the yarn is very unique (color changing). Don't pull from the inside of the yarn, pull from the outside. I learned that the hard way too. I've restarted this project more times than I can count, but I think it's going to be a gorgeous gift for a friend.

What a great place to hear from experts. Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sandrane, Thanks for letting us know you figured it out. I have had several free patterns that had mistakes in them. I like it better if the designer states (which some do ) that if you find anything wrong to let them know. I mentioned earlier in one of my first replies to you that it might be an error.

I am sorry that we were not able to help you but happy that you figured it out.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrane View Post
    Hello, I am attempting the Whysper Wrap by Noowul Designs but am stuck on row 3! I am only counting 6 sc and I'm supposed to have 8. Where am I missing two singles? Thanks so much

CH1, SC in first dc, CH 3, SC in next dc, CH 3, in next dc make [SC, CH 3, SC], (CH3, SC in next dc) 2 times, turn. (8 sc)
    Hi sandrane,
    If you crochet all the sc's in the row (that includes the sc's in the brackets and the sc's in the parentheses) and then go back and crochet the sc's in the brackets a 2nd time and crochet the sc in the parentheses a 2nd time then you will have 8 sc's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had several free patterns that had mistakes in them.

I have encountered several paid patterns that had mistakes as well. What is wrong with these "designers" that they don't check and doublecheck their instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I would have done it too. I wrote that in my post but wrote brackets and left off the word parentheses so I guess that was confusing but I was counting sc in the brackets and the parentheses that is how I kept getting 8 sc. She said she figured it out. I did not look at the pattern only the instructions. When I can't come up with the same number of stitches that the patterns says at the end of the row. I look at the row before and the row after to see the number of stitches I started with the number stated and how many stitches I need for the next row.
    If they don't match then there usually is a mistake in the pattern.

I am satisfied that she can continue her pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, If the pattern is free and you make it and then point out the mistakes or ask how they came up with the number of stitches that were incorrect then you just tested their patterns for them.

I appreciate the free patterns and if I can get around the mistakes I am Ok.

It takes a lot of time to create a pattern and make it so it can fit multiple sizes and they do all that and give it away for free.

I just saw on the Internet a knitted blanket Pattern it is in a knit and your can choose your colors. The Kit is $65.94 but you can download the blanket pattern for free. I just did. Didn't cost me anything.

I'm thankful,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 01-28-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the free patterns and if I can get around the mistakes I am Ok.

It takes a lot of time to create a pattern and make it so it can fit multiple sizes and they do all that and give it away for free.

I am very much aware of these considerations. If the designer would say, "This pattern has not been tested for accuracy", I would not be complaining. I just want a warning: "There may be errors in the pattern". I'm working on a sweater right now and the designer graciously makes herself available for any questions. They should all do this, but some don't. Designers: double check and triple check your work, then make a charge for the pattern. And then answer questions just in case you slipped up. Otherwise, I don't want your charity.

Last year I found a cardigan pattern "for free" on Ravelry, completed more than half of it, then when I saw that it didn't look right, I went back to the comments and yes, indeed, another person who tried it said that the front is longer than the back. That comment was not there when I first started the project. I am still, as of today, taking that garment apart and rolling it into balls. Sock yarn + small hook.

I give away stuff to people all the time, but never anything that is not in good condition. I don't give away cups with cracks, clothing with holes, etc. and expect gratitude in return. The recipient of phony generosity has every right to be angry with the "donor."

12. Likes spoula liked this post