Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: I’m stuck

Post Thanks / Like

I’m stuck

Hi! I wondered if any of you would be able to help me, I am new to crocheting but so far I have picked up everything really well, I’ve been teaching myself to read patterns and doing the basics etc. However I received a pattern for Christmas which I cannot for the life of me work out. It’s a little teddy, I have made a few teddies and I have completed the body etc except his head. I have tried this numerous times but I’m unsure how it’s meant to look as it looks completely wrong every time I try, i have worked out the first 2 instructions but I cannot work out the last. I will post the instructions below and if anyone could explain this to me or even post a photo of how it should look I will be so grateful!

- make 7ch, begin the next round in the 2nd ch from the hook
    - 5 dc, 3 dc in the last st continue around the bottom edge of the length of chain;
    - 4ch, 2dc in the first ch (place a piece of contrasting thread here as a marker) (14)

Tia x

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tia,
    Welcome. The patterns is telling you to chain 7 and turn your work and starting in the 2nd chain from hook crochet 5 dc (1 dc in ea st) and 3 dc's in the last stitch for a total of 8 stitches. Now turn your work so you can crochet on the other side of the chain - so you're turning your work in a circle. Chain 4 and put 2 dc's in the 1st ch from hook and 1 dc in ea of the next 3 chains so you will have 5 dc's. You are going to crochet in the next 9 sts - 1 dc in ea st - from what I can figure out the 1st 2 sts of the 9 sts is the side of the dc you did, the 3rd st starts in the other side of the chain; continue with 1 dc across row ending with the last dc on the end of work (not the end of the row but 1 more st after that) You will have a total of 14 dc sts.

The ch 7 and 1 dc in ea of 5 chains and 3 dc in last st=8 dc's
    -100_6940-jpg

I turned and chained 4 and did 2 dc's in 1st st and 1 dc in the next 3 chains=5 dc's
    -100_6941-jpg

the 3rd st of the 9 dc's starts in the other side of the chain
    -100_6942-jpg

the 5 dc's on the chain 4 and the 9dc's=14 dc's
    -100_6943-jpg
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 01-12-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! Have a good day
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making an oval like at the bottom of a purse. The 3 crochets stitches in one stitch starts the oval, the last 2DC stitches is in the stitch where you dc in the 2nd chain from the hook that makes 3 DC stitches.
    It will kind of look like this.

3DC 5 DC 3DC
    (____________)

Note: I didn't see where you wrote you are making a Teddy Bear (sorry) so this could be a circle for the head not an oval as I posted. The stitches will be the same.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 01-14-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added note

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgedangerx View Post
    Hi! I wondered if any of you would be able to help me, I am new to crocheting but so far I have picked up everything really well, I’ve been teaching myself to read patterns and doing the basics etc. However I received a pattern for Christmas which I cannot for the life of me work out. It’s a little teddy, I have made a few teddies and I have completed the body etc except his head. I have tried this numerous times but I’m unsure how it’s meant to look as it looks completely wrong every time I try, i have worked out the first 2 instructions but I cannot work out the last. I will post the instructions below and if anyone could explain this to me or even post a photo of how it should look I will be so grateful!

- make 7ch, begin the next round in the 2nd ch from the hook
    - 5 dc, 3 dc in the last st continue around the bottom edge of the length of chain;
    - 4ch, 2dc in the first ch (place a piece of contrasting thread here as a marker) (14)

Tia x
    Hi Tia,
    What I told you to do on a earlier reply might be wrong. The head is a circle. So I chained 7 and ss in the 1st chain to make a circle. Then I did 1 dc in the next 5 chains and 3 dc's in the next or last chain = 8 dc's. Then I chained 4 and did 2 dc's in the next chain which is the first chain. The 8 dc's (dc in 5 chains and 3 dc's in the next) + the 4 chains + the 2 dc's is 14.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 02-07-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the pattern again and now I think that my first reply above was right but I don't know how that would work for a teddy bear if this is supposed to be the head. Maybe it's the legs or arms of the teddy bear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I looked at the pattern again and now I think that my first reply above was right but I don't know how that would work for a teddy bear if this is supposed to be the head. Maybe it's the legs or arms of the teddy bear.
    JeanMarie, She stated in her first post she was making the head of the Teddie Bear (circle). You had that right the first time.

So according to the following pattern instructions she posted she understands the first two instructions it is the last one she doesn't get.

Your first post was right except you don't chain 4 the instructions was stating that you have 4 chains left to finish the circle. Also you don't slip stitch as I don't see that in the below instructions

make 7ch, begin the next round in the 2nd ch from the hook

I hope this helps you
    Spoula

8. Likes MeToo! liked this post