Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Finding the inside beginning of a skein

Is there a trick or sure-fire way of finding the beginning of the skein so I can work from the inside out instead of outside in? When I buy yarn I usually look for the end sticking out, but sometimes I forget. I have to keep pulling yarn until the skein gets small enough to unwind on its own.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Is there a trick or sure-fire way of finding the beginning of the skein so I can work from the inside out instead of outside in? When I buy yarn I usually look for the end sticking out, but sometimes I forget. I have to keep pulling yarn until the skein gets small enough to unwind on its own.
    I, too, would like to know if there's a sure-fire way to find the beginning of the skein from the inside; sometimes the end is sticking out, but other times where is no sign of it. I poke around on both sides of the skein and find nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is a method, I sure haven't discovered it. So, much like my grandma who taught me to crochet and knit, I roll it into a ball by hand starting from the outside thread of the skein. It sounds like tedious work, but done in front of the television, it keeps my hands busy in a way that uses rather than adds calories! 😉

4. Likes charlene corbin, Ramona49 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    :-) Thanks... that's what I have done on occasion... usually though when it gets down to about half a skein left.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes AuntyD, chefmomster2, Irishjl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Yawl,

Does it make a difference on working from the inside out or the outside in? I just wad up some paper and unravel the yarn that way into a ball. I do it in front of the TV too.
    I thought the yarn was consistent through out. Maybe it is personal preference.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    Hey, Yawl,

Does it make a difference on working from the inside out or the outside in? I just wad up some paper and unravel the yarn that way into a ball. I do it in front of the TV too.
    I thought the yarn was consistent through out. Maybe it is personal preference.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon
    It doesn't matter in the sense that your crocheted item will look the same hooked either way. For me, the two ways each have their positive and negative aspects.

Use yarn from center pull:
    PRO. Yarn does not tend to roll around as much since it unwinds within the center of the skein. Perhaps the yarn stays cleaner since the exposed yarn is limited to the outer layers. If it works, it saves time since no rolling into a ball isrequired before stitching. Yarn stacks easier since balls just can't be piled up upon one another.
    CON: In my experience the yarn frequently becomes tangled. Then, you have huge knot between your yarn and your work and this positioning can make it very difficult to untangle.

Use From Outside:
    PROS: The chance of a tangle is minimal. Balling is not really necessary since either of these methods has yarn unwrapping from the outside. End is easy to find.
    CONS: More rolling around. More of the yarn will be exposed to dirt.

Perhaps others have their own ideas on the issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    I put my skein or rolled up ball in a basket when I'm crocheting..it doesn't get dirt or dust on it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know with the Peaches and creme cotton yarn, hold the skein with the label right side up, the yarn end is usually on the bottom end! It has worked every time for me! Some skeins of yarn tell you which end the yarn end is in on the label!! Otherwise, I just fish around on the inside until I find it!