Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have had trouble finding the end of a ball. I have a couple of things to say that may be of help. One is to use a toilet paper tube to roll it on if you don't have a ball winder. Keeps it from getting tangled. A renewable source!

Another is a question I read somewhere. Does it matter which end you use? Someone seemed to think it did. They thought that if you use the wrong end it untwists the yarn. Just yesterday I rewound a ball because it seemed like it was untwisting when I wrapped it around my fingers and I like to use a center pull ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the untwisting, I don't think that I have had that happen. And, I don't think that is makes any difference
    which end you use, I just happen to like pulling from inside, it just seems to go better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I am using Redheart and I just noticed that it has a little sign telling you which end to use for pulling from and which to use to pull from the outside. I suppose this has been on there all the time but my friends I have made here clued me in to where to look. Thanks!!!

4. Likes billieconrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too roll my yarn in a ball if I can't find the end. I do try really hard not to buy it if I can't find it. Sometimes you get discounted yarn and I think some of it is put in because people haven't bought it because they couldn't find the end. In that case it is easy for me to take the time to roll it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed once in a while, but not often that a skein of yarn unwinds slightly as I am working it up. I'll have to pay closer attention to which end it started from. It hasn't been a big problem for me, I just twist it a little bit as I work it. I thought it just wasn't wound as well....hmmmm, interesting.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    If the yarn unwinds as you use it, it will be easier to split. Now that I have brought up this subject; maybe it is worth making a new post. I wonder if anyone has researched it. If it is so hard to find the end of the yarn hidden down inside the ball, maybe the company has done that deliberately so you would start using the outside end to avoid the untwisting.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't matter whether you work from the inside of the ball or from the outside in.

The only reason for working from the inside of the ball is so that the yarn doesn't keep running across the floor as its being used.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    ANY yarn may tangle during machine winding. You will reach any tangle whether you use yarn from the inside or outside. After you are working, it's just as hard to de-tangle it both ways.

Suggestion:
    Cut tiny corner of a "zip" closing plastic baggie
    Put yarn into it. Bring yarn end out the cut corner.
    Close bag. Yarn feeds thru hole.
    Bag keeps yarn clean and helps control rolling about.
    Good for center-pull, outer end, or wound-by-hand yarn.
    Last edited by Dsynr; 09-17-2012 at 05:42 AM.

10. Likes Judi Gums, billieconrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    sometimes the skeins will show you on the wrapper but I know from using all kinds of yarn that sometimes the companys make the skeins now to where you can't find the inside pull to work from,this makes it harder as you work because the yarn at the end of the skein tangles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the time I manage to pull out the yarn from the center. Some brands are more difficult than others. Red Heart is usually easy enough to get the center yarn. When I have a difficult brand, I just try to pull a blob from the center and try to find the end of the yarn. Quit often when I find the end there is so much yarn that I have to re-wind around the hank. I prefer working from the center especially when you have to work with more than one color. It's easier to avoid tangling. Also I take my projects to work on while I'm waiting in the doctor's office etc.. I don;'t have the luxury of keeping the yarn in a basket or in a yarn container.