Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

There are (at least) six (6) ways to hold the crochet hook.

Know Your Hands - 6 Popular Crochet Holds

1. OVERHAND - the butter knife hold.

2. OVERHAND - the saber hold.

3. OVERHAND - the piano claw or cupped hold

4. UNDERHAND - the pencil grip

5. UNDERHAND - the chopstick hold

6. UNDERHAND - the pinky fly hold

I thought that there was just "pencil" hold and "knife hold". Well, this article breaks these holds down even more.

So help me, I don't see my way of doing the pencil hold represented here.
    Last edited by MeToo!; 09-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello MeToo, I don't see my exact hold here either.

Spoula

6. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jean Marie. Thank you for those photos. As far as I can tell, I hold my hook like Ursula and Patricia Seaton. I really did not know there were so many variations of the basic pencil and knife holds. Well, live & learn.

So, Spoula, is there a photo among the bunch that represents your particular grip?
    Last edited by MeToo!; 09-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    @Jean Marie. Thank you for those photos. As far as I can tell, I hold my hook like Ursula and Patricia Seaton. I really did not know there were so many variations of the basic pencil and knife holds. Well, live & learn.

So, Spoula, is there a photo among the bunch that represents your particular grip?
    It is difficult to see the exact holds these photos show. I would lean between Zaunaz Arif and Laura Laney. I think I am a knife holder but it doesn't look exactly like my grip.

I went back to the photos to see how you hold your hook. My mother in law holds her hook that way and she is awsome at what she can do both crochet and knit. I tried her way and I was a mess and so was my project so I went back to my way.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-24-2019 at 07:29 AM.

9. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried her way and I was a mess and so was my project so I went back to my way.

I know what you mean. I have tried and tried to do some version of the knife hold and it works for about 5 stitches and then I have to go back to the way I learned more than 40 years ago. Why fool with success.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hold the hook w/my fingers(including the pinky) on one side of the handle of the hook and my thumb on the other side of the hook but my thumb doesn't always stay on the handle of the hook - like Zarnaz Arif and Diana Wilson maybe Laura Laney. When my thumb moves off the handle it either goes on my work or on the other part of the hook that's not the handle but my thumb sometimes goes from the handle to where the loops are on the hook and sometimes on my work. Sometimes trying to keep my thumb on the handle because it feels better having my thumb on the cushioned handle. I use other crochet hooks too that don't have the cushioned handle and sometimes I use the grips on them.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.