Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie! How is your husband doing after his surgery? Better each day I hope. I have been meaning to thank you for quite some time for a long ago post of yours. It was about decreasing single crochets. Since I read that post I have been using the method you wrote about and my amigurumis look much better. So,thank you very much. As for the Susan Bates hooks;I like that they are light weight. How about you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I like the light weight hook by Susan Bates. I like it that it's light weight. When I'm going to crochet with an H hook I go for the Susan Bates hook instead of the Boye hook. I'll probably use the Boye H hook again sometime. On the earflaps of the hats I'm making I learned the hdc 2 tog and on the elephant rug I'm helping someone make it has the dc 2 tog so I learned the hdc dec and the dc dec I'm glad the sc dec is helping your projects look better.

Thanks for asking about my husband. He is getting better. A week after the surgery he had the tubes taken out. Now in a couple of weeks he goes back for a checkup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    I've always preferred Boye because they have a much longer shaft than the Bates hooks. I'm very dependent on the shaft to make my stitches even (guess it was the way I was taught). The bottom line is what ever works for you!

I like the longer shaft too when it is too short I find myself pulling on the yarn and my hands get tired.

I found this interesting...…..

I just read this on the Internet. The Boye hook has a tapered throat. (I am thinking this is the top of the hook where you catch the yarn) I think that is one of the hooks I use the most it has a sharp head that catches the yarn better for me that is. The round heads on the other hooks are hard to get through tiny chains I have to rotate them to get them through some times.

For the Susan Bates hooks it said this:
    These hooks have in line heads to help to reduce wrist motion for fatigue free crocheting and helps you maintain a more consistent gauge.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I can use a Bates hook. One time I needed a size E and that was all that Joann's had so I bought it. I've used it, but it's not my favorite. If they had longer shafts, maybe I'd like them better.

5. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fun reading about hooks - one of my favourite topics.

Re pointed vs rounded tips on hooks: If you want really, really pointed, there is the Kollage brand. I have one. I bought it even though the square handle is not right for me (so I had to place a thick Bates grip on it. You can't win when you're a pencil-grip type.)

The Kollage gives you the option of a pointy or a rounded tip.

Susan Bates have nice hooks, the business end I mean - but, yes, I agree with those of you who say the shaft part between the tip and the thumb rest is too short.

I have an oldish Aero Boye style hook. It lurches from wide to really thin at the end. I've never seen such an extreme change in width in any hook. Are all Boye types like that, or just the Aero brand.

Kollage Square Crochet Hooks- Made in North America

I think I will start saving up for a Furls.

7. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I never noticed that the Susan Bates hooks were short. I have small hands so that may be why. Also,that may be the reason I like them so much. Less awkward and easier to control. Whatever works! imalefty

9. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, That Kollage hook has a funky lookinng handle I don't think I would be comfortable using that. My Aero hooks came from England. I have never seen any here is the states. Is Aero and Boye manufacture by the same maker of both hooks?
    Just wondering.....
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Aero and Boye manufacture by the same maker of both hooks?

Sorry, but I don't know. I wish I had a little, easy-to-use digital camera so I could photograph & post my weird 5.50 mm Aero (Boye-style) hook. It is just crazy narrow near the head and lurches toward the wideness of the shaft. What the hey...it's a struggle getting the yarn onto the wide part (which is what determines the size of the stitch, right?) I have to push-pull like crazy.