Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Susan Bates and Boye Crochet Hooks

I can crochet faster with the aluminum crochet hook than I can with the hook that has a cushioned handle. I have put crochet grips on sometimes on the Boye hooks. I'm crocheting with and aluminum Susan Bates hook now. I always or most of the time crocheted with Boye hooks and only used Susan Bates a little bit mostly to pull the yarn through if I couldn't get the yarn through with the other hook. I thought I liked Boye hooks and I think I still do but I like Susan Bates hook I'm using. I had tried it before and thought it would be good to help a person to not look at their crocheting work. But I'm finding I like the Susan Bates. Oh, I already said that.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always preferred Boye because they have a much longer shaft than the Bates hooks. I'm very dependent on the shaft to make my stitches even (guess it was the way I was taught). The bottom line is what ever works for you!

3. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just held the Boye and the Susan Bates side by side and mmm I guess they do. I didn't realize that Boye has a longer shaft on the hooks. When crocheting with Susan Bates hook I noticed I have the yarn over the thumb rest but it doesn't make the stitch much bigger. I'll still use the Boye hooks too. By the way the ones with the cushion handle are Boye hooks but the shaft is not quite as long as I'd like; the cushioned handle is nice though. I don't crochet as fast with a cushioned handle but it still works to crochet with.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boye hooks seem to be smoother in that the yarn seem to slide on the hook and the hook slides right through the loops. Susan Bates can slide too.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-06-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cushioned handles are nice, but you're right - the manufacturers cover some of the shaft with the cushion. The only one that finally figured this out was Addi. First they made the Swing hook with a short shaft, but then they came out with the Swing Maxi that has a longer shaft. At least I think that's the order they came to the marketplace in.

7. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Addi looks like nice crochet hooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am jumping into this conversation about hooks. I must be really old as most of my hooks say U.S.A with just a letter on them. My other hooks are from England and the name on those are Aero some others that say Hero. I have some Boye, Susan Bates and a lot with no name on them.

I never paid any attention to the length of the shaft or anything else on a hook except if it felt good in my hand and it was the right size for the item I wanted to make. There is so much thought that goes into todays hooks and new designs and ways to use your hooks. It's a great time to be living in.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-10-2019 at 12:01 PM.

10. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some hooks that say U.S.A. but they also say Boye. I have a Susan Bates hook that says Mexico and on the other side of the hook it says USO/2.55MM I thought there was only the Susan Bates and Boye hooks. I didn't know there was Aero and Hero hooks. I don't pay much attention to the shaft of the hook either. If I'm using an aluminum hook and the yarn goes near or on the thumb rest, it doesn't bother me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s Susan Bates for me every time! Just recently grabbed the wrong hook and couldn’t get my project started. Boye hook too clunky and awkward. Susan Bates hooks make it possible for me to use worsted weight yarn and a C or D for my amigurumis. Whatever works! imalefty

13. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone gave me a light weight Susan Bates hook and I've been using that one.

15. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post