Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on 100% thread or yarn

Does anyone on this forum know if this could be used for a toddler dress. Or if you have used this product does it work up soft?

Question on 100% thread or yarn

I saw some 100% cotton Yarn or thread not sure which it was at Walmart. It was a lot of thread on one of those cone things where the bottom is round and as the yarn winds up it becomes smaller like an ice cream cone. The color was white and light green. I liked the color but the yarn or thread felt a little rough but flexible and a little stronger than #5 thread and more rough then yarn.

I have an idea for a toddler dress I want to make it is all chevron stitches and I thought that the white and light green would look good with the Chevron stitch. I would not like to buy this yarn and make the dress only to find out it would feel like a small rope. I don't know if it could be used for a dress or not. However saying that I have seen some Spanish videos with the ladies using this thread only theirs looked soft.

If anyone on here has used this kind of thread before and it works up soft please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Spoula

Last edited by spoula; 07-12-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spacing

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoula, I've often thought of buying this type of cone yarn, but haven't because I had the same thought as you did. I'm sorry I wasn't any help. I hope someone can help you because I would like to know myself. Lynda Fey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Linda Fey, Thanks for responding. I felt the thread and it is not as soft as fingerling or baby yarn. It is small and maybe becase the way it is wound it seems rough. I just hate to buy it and not be able to use it as that is such a waste.
    If I find out or I do give in to try it I will let you know how it works up. It will be awhile as I am working on other projects and don't plan on making the dress any time soon.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how thick a yarn you want. If you are willing to go to DK, here is something beautiful, but you may not want the colour changes. I just love Plymouth yarns, no garbage here!

Plymouth Yarn Pendenza Yarn at WEBS | Yarn.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello MeToo, Thanks for that link the yarn is pretty. I would use that for the older girls but not the little one.
    The dress I want to make is for the little one and it is lacy so I need thread as I think that would hold the shape of the design yarn will be to heavy for what I want to make.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 07-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about fingering-weight yarn made of 75% cotton + 25% acrylic? That sounds ideal to me. It's not much heavier than certain weights of thread. I can't see thread being comfy for a child's garment, but that is just my opinion.

I like Knit Picks yarns. They sure have some nice stuff.

Sea Foam | KnitPicks.com

Crochet hook size 2.25mm-3.5mm.
    Yards: 218
    Last edited by MeToo!; 07-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello MeToo,
    That is pretty yarn too. I like all the yarns you pick out. My original question is has anyone used this thread from Walmart to make clothes? I liked the color and it looked like a lot of thread on one bolt.

Thanks for taking time to find me all that pretty yarn choices. If I can't find exactly what I want I may purchase the yarn you last posted it was really pretty.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    There's lots of colour choice there, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used this yarn for a toddler dress and beret and I think you would be sorely disappointed in using this yarn for anything other than dishcloths. The yarn does soften slightly after washing, but doesn't hold its shape, poor drape of finished item and what starts as brightly colored yarn will look lack luster after one washing. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'd consider other options of yarn.

10. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Monto8, Thank you so much for your response. You have written exactly what I thought that yarn would do. You pretty much nailed it. You did not rain on my parade at all I am grateful that you replied and gave such a good description of the item and saved me from wasting my time and money.

Spoula