Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find a 2 piece crocheted pattern for a mermaid tail

I'm looking for a free crochet pattern for a 9 month old. Here's a picture
    https://www.google.com/search?q=free...3VEf5gk8E0uYM:

Here's another picture
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/116952...44070/?lp=true
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-04-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, This is for newborn all the way up to toddler. Each link is a different designer. There is a video as well.

https://justbrightideas.com/crochet-baby-mermaid-tail/

I'm trying to find a 2 piece crocheted pattern for a mermaid tail

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Thanks Spoula but someone wants it like it's pictured above. I need a pattern to make it for a 9 month old. I guess I could try to make it from the picture if I can't find a free pattern. It's alright if one pattern is the mermaids tail and another pattern is the headband and another pattern is the top piece.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a video that might work for the mermaid's tail. She says on the video that it can be for any size just to put the crochet chains around the waist of the person to see how many chains. Does someone have or know of a 9 month old baby girl to see how many chains it would take to go around the waist of a 9 month old girl?

I didn't follow this video. The pattern is on page 1 after the video.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-03-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I could make the headband and bra by looking at the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I think you can make one from looking at a picture too. Just use the waist measurements for the baby or child and the chest measurements and you will do a good job. Use FSC and continue until you reach the waist measurement or a little smaller as the FSC stretches.

6 to 9 Months – weight: 22.046 lbs.; height: 29.13 in.; chest: 18.90 in.; waist: 17.13 in.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 06-05-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added the measurements

7. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I figure 19 inches waist for a 9 month old and it takes me 9 chains to make and inch using the H hook. 19x9 is 171. So does that mean that I would need to have 171 chains to start?

although I'm thinking of trying the I hook and see how big the stitches are and see how many chains to an inch.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I tried to get 9 stitches to 1 inch and I can't do. Any way I tried a little gauge as if I was making this pattern using 17" fot the waist. I used and H hook and got 6 chains in 2.5 inches gives me 42.5 chains to make.
    However in order to get the 17" I wanted I had to chain 58 by laying my chains on the tape measure for 17"

I don't know if that helps you or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a pattern for a mermaid cocoon and tail but would this be big enough for a 9 month old? I wouldn't want to put ruffles on it unless that's what they want. The cocoon starts small and goes up to 88 sts. The video above starts with crocheting big and gets small. On the video she starts with 60 chains for the cocoon. Both the pattern and the video say to crochet in the back loops only for the fin. The video clarifies that this is so there's ridges on the fin. I had googled it and for a 9 month old their waist is 19 inches. If I crochet 8 or 9 sts to an inch 88 sts might be 10 inches. How many chains would I need for 19 inches? I had figured 171 chains. Is that right? If I follow the video she says to chain a multiple of 3. Here's the pattern:https://www.bhookedcrochet.com/2014/...ermaid-cocoon/

Size 6-9M Age 6-9 months waist 18.5-19" 47-48 cm

Size 9-12M Age 9-12 months waist 19-19.5" 48-49 cm

I also found this https://cutecreationsbylc.weebly.com...ize-chart.html

If a 9 month old is 16 inches and I crochet 9 stitches to an inch 16x9 is 144. That would mean I crochet 144 chains to start if I follow the video.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-08-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, are you using this pattern to make your item or are you using this as a guide?

If you are using this pattern you posted you don't have to guess at the number of chains to start with it tells you (8).
    Also the circumference is 24 inches and laid flat it is 12 inches. You posted a 6-9 month baby's waist is 18.5 to 19" even if you make it exactly the size of this pattern your item will fit from 6-12 month babies.
    You have plenty of room for a baby of 9 months. The pattern says for a little baby the top will come up to the shoulders if the baby is bigger then it will fit like a mermaid tail should look.
    The only problem you may have is she is using a (4mm/G) hook to get 8 sts per inch for the size she wrote you are using a (5mm/H) and you have 9 sts per inch so that will make your item a little bigger you won't get the gauge in the pattern. Also it looks like you do not have to worry about the waist because this pattern is one fits from newborn up to a baby.

At the top you will have 88 sitches if you think this is too big start decreasing before you get to the top. You don't want it to be too tight loose is better for babies because they don't stay still they wiggle.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 06-09-2019 at 05:30 AM.