Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pattern says a 4.5 mm crochet hook. My G hook is 4.25 mm. I have another G hook that I got from someone and it doesn't say what mm it is but it looks a little bit bigger than the 4.25 mm G hook that I have. They are both Boye hooks. I thought maybe I would use the bigger G hook that doesn't say what mm it is.

The 1st picture on the website above (after clicking on it then wait a minute or so for the picture to come up). Once you get to the picture of the baby in a mermaid outfit then if you click on the picture another page will come up and if you hover the mouse over the picture it will zoom the picture.

If you look at both pictures on the websites above on the very first post on this page you can see that in the second picture the top or bra is more of a pink than in the first picture.

On the video she crochets 2 pieces for the fin and sews them together and gathers and sews it on the top of the fin. On the pattern it's one piece for the fin; it's just folded over on the top of the fin. I think I'll follow the pattern.

I was looking at the pictures above on the websites on the very first post. The bra or top has ridges so that's sc in the back loops and then I would have to make a tie for the back of the bra.

I looked at the pattern and she doesn't say how much yarn it will take.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, Start with 2 skeins of yarn if you don't use it all for the tail you will have some for the top or the headband.

I also like the folded fin I think it looks more real.

The bra part is easy to do just follow the chest measurements of the baby. If you use the FSC to start and crochet in rounds you don't have to make a tie it will stretch over the head. Put a little Shell between the breast on the front.

I look forward to seeing your final piece.

Did you notice that on Etsy these are selling for $41.28.

Good luck and have fun baby things are so much fun to make.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 06-10-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spacing

Post Thanks / Like
    In order to get the guage on the pattern for the mermaid cocoon and tail above I had to go down to a F hook.

I'm not so sure I'm going to use a F hook for the pattern. I might use the G hook that's 4.25 mm that I have or maybe I'll go ahead and use the G hook that I have that doesn't say what mm it is. If I use one of the G hooks then it'll just be a little bit over 2 inches for the gauge. Actually I didn't try the G hook that's 4.25mm. I just tried the G hook that doesn't say what mm it is and I tried the F hook which is a 3.75 mm.

With a F hook, 2 rows of dc is 1 inch. 3 rows of dc is the second line above the inch mark on the measuring tape - 1.25 inches. 4 rows of dc is the mark just above 1 and a half inches on the measuring tape. 5 rows of dc is 2 inches.

I wouldn't sell it for $41.28. Maybe $30 or $35
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 06-10-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi jean Marie, Funny thing you wrote about your G hook. I also have 2 G hooks and I always use the one that is 4mm.
    I never heard that a G hook could also be a 4.25MM

I copied several hook conversion pages off the Internet because I always use the US Letter and Number it is only lately that I see so many patterns using the Metric ones.

Anyway I found only one Hook conversion page on the Internet that listed a G/6 hook is 4MM to 4.25mm. I have 2 one light pink and one dark pink both say G/6 but the darker one is a newer hook and it does looks slightly larger then my old light pink one. I thought I got a bad hook and I have never used the new one as I though it was top big. I am glad you said you had 2 G hooks but different sizes too. Now I know what size my new hook really is (4.25). It measures 4MM on that metal thing you can see what size hook and needle is. The shaft is more round then the old one it is flat.

I think your G hook would be the right size the F may be too small. Anyway I don't think the gauge is that important in the pattern as long as you make the waist and chest the correct measurements. It is better to have a little bigger for babies as they grow so fast.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Thanks for replying. The G hook I have is a G/6 which is the 4.25 MM. The other G hook - the one that doesn't say what MM it is - is the one someone gave me, which looks a bit bigger than the 4.25 MM but smaller than the H/8 hook I have which is a 5 MM. Are you suggesting I use the G/6 hook that's 4.25 MM? The bigger G hook might be a 4.5 I don't know I'm just guessing at what size the bigger G hook might be. She says to use a 4.5 MM in the pattern so maybe I should use the bigger G hook. The bigger G hook is between a 4.25 MM and a 5 MM.

When following the mermaid pattern I wouldn't have to have the waist size as far as I can tell. Let me know if I'm wrong. I would need the chest measurement and the head measurement. That was a good idea to make the bra in one piece so she can slip it over her head but if there are ties on the bra then she could tie it how tight she needs to. I'll have to ask what she wants.

I looked at the pattern and I noticed that It's worked the same way as a flat circle once I start putting 2 dc's in ea st and then for the next rnd 2 dc's in a st and then 1 dc in the next st and repeat around and the next rnd 2 dc's in one st and then 1 dc in the next 2 sts and repeat around, and on the following rnds it would go up one more number for ea rnd. The next rnd would be 2 dc's in the st and then 1 dc in the next 3 sts and the next rnd would be 2 dc's in the st and 1 dc in the next 4 sts and so on.

I've also looked at the reviews for the mermaid pattern and the ch 3 at the beg of the rnd counts as a dc. and I found out it might take 3 skeins of yarn or part of the 3rd skein of yarn to finish if I don't use the same type of yarn that she used in the pattern.

The shaft is round on both G hooks I have. The thumb rest is flat. As I said before they're both Boye hooks. The only difference is the hook part seems to be a bit wider on the one side. Maybe they're the same size.? I'll ask at Bible Study tomorrow if they think the G hooks are the same size. I don't have one of those metal things so I can see what MM it is. The 4.25 MM I have is more rounded on the hook part and the one that might be a bit bigger is a little bit wider and longer on the hook part. I put the hooks facing each other and they look identical and the one I have that's a 4.25 mm looks like it might be bigger but when facing towards me the green one - the one that I thought was bigger - looks like it's bigger or it might be the same size as the 4.25 red G hook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I asked about the G hooks that I have and a couple people said that they're the same size hooks. I kind of wondered if they were the same size but I wasn't sure.