Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Substituting US Red Heart Aran to UK DK yarn

Hi all,
    Newbie from the UK...nice to say hello. :-)
    I’m wanting to start a bobble words blanket pattern I've seen on Ravelry and the original calls for Red Heart Super Saver yarn but I want to make it smaller over all so am going with a DK…thinking of King Cole Price wise or Style craft Special DK.
    Substituting yarns is not my forte, but with a blanket it shouldn’t be too much hassle (hopefully!).
    I’ve 2 questions if anyone might have some advice for me? Firstly, will the DKs mentioned wash well and not pill up too badly during use? And how much less DK wool will I need compared to Aran considering it’s a thinner wool therefore will make a smaller blanket?
    Thanks all…any guidance much appreciated. :-)
    Oops...edit: The pattern calls for between 2163 - 2263 metres of Red Heart.
    Last edited by IndigoGlow; 06-01-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Extra info

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello IndigoGlow,

Here is a link for yarn calulations. Where you can enter the difference in the Red Heart Super Saver and how much you need for the pattern and then you compare the difference in weight of the King Cole Price to determine how much you need.

https://www.anniescrochetspecials.com/yarn_calculator.php

I am not familiar with King Cole Price brand. I would compare the information on the back of both yarn packages and size of hook recommended and since you are making a smaller blanket you might be OK using the yardages or meters 2163-2263.

Spoula