Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

Help to decode a pattern for newbie!

Hi there, I'm a newbie to crochet and have been teaching myself from YouTube and blogs etc. and am pleased with the octopus head I've so far produced ... but I've come unstuck on the instructions for the tentacles.

Could someone kindly explain them in more detail to me please? The instruction is:

Now make the tentacles as follows:

*ch 50. sc in the 2nd ch from hook. 2 sc in ea chain across. When back to the body, sl st in the next stitch. Repeat from * 7 more times to make a total of 8 tentacles.

The full pattern is here if you need to refer to it :
    https://www.crochet365knittoo.com/cr...opus-preemies/

Thank you!
    Angela

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lima;214022]Hi there, I'm a newbie to crochet and have been teaching myself from YouTube and blogs etc. and am pleased with the octopus head I've so far produced ... but I've come unstuck on the instructions for the tentacles.

Could someone kindly explain them in more detail to me please? The instruction is:

Now make the tentacles as follows:

*ch 50. sc in the 2nd ch from hook. 2 sc in ea chain across. When back to the body, sl st in the next stitch. Repeat from * 7 more times to make a total of 8 tentacles.

The full pattern is here if you need to refer to it :
    https://www.crochet365knittoo.com/cr...opus-preemies/

Hello Lima, I looked at you pattern where you attached the link. You said you got the head done and you are working on the tentacles. After row 19 you will have 8 stitches left. They want you to make eight tentacles and attach each one to one of the 8 stitches from the head. If you understood that but are having a problem understanding how to do the tentacles. Below is a video that might help you.

Help to decode a pattern for newbie!

https://youtu.be/z9HSU_tfql8

Hope this helps,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay let me see if I can help...

So... you are starting at the body and you will chain (ch) 50... this extends outward from the body and will create the foundation of your tentacle. Then you will make a single crochet(sc) into the second chain from your hook... so count 2 chains starting at your hook and make a single crochet in the second one. Then you will continue putting a single crochet (sc) in each chain until you make it all the way back to the body of the Octopus. Once at the body there should be a stitch on the body that you will make a slip stitch (sl st) into to seal the tentacle to the body.

Then you repeat all of these instructions 7 more times to create a total of 8 tentacles.

I hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello RME, You did a great job explaining this the only thing I see missed was her pattern calls for 2 sc in each stitch that what makes the tentacles curl.

Soula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello RME, You did a great job explaining this the only thing I see missed was her pattern calls for 2 sc in each stitch that what makes the tentacles curl.

Soula
    Oh my you are absolutely right.. I did miss that! My apologies. After putting the single crochet (sc) into the second chain from the hook it should be--Then you will continue putting 2 single crochet (sc) stitches into each chain until you make it all the way back to the body of the Octopus.--then the continue with the rest of what I wrote above.

6. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Help to decode a pattern for newbie

Dont see nothing wrong with using racetecs as they are a road tyre also I was using them when I was a newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bennieBef View Post
    Dont see nothing wrong with using racetecs as they are a road tyre also I was using them when I was a newbie
    What?______________

9. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a million Spoula and RME! I got myself one fine, finished octopus and feeling very pleased!

11. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    Thanks a million Spoula and RME! I got myself one fine, finished octopus and feeling very pleased!
    Hello Lima, So glad it worked out for you.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    What?______________
    Hi Jean Marie, He is talking about Radial tires. The Europeans do not spell tire the same way we do.

What this has to do with crochet or knitting I don't know. He could have been replying to another post and it got mixed
    up.

Spoula