Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Name Doily-Please Help

Hey everybody! I missed ya'll!!

I need your help please!

I am trying to make a name doily for the name "ODOM". I have made my pattern. I am using # 10 white crochet thread, but when I use the # 10 thread you can't hardly make out the name. I am only putting one stitch inside the square. The name ODOM is made with solid stitches on the pattern I made. I have 2 rows of blank spaces below the name and above the name and on each side of the name. I also turned the pattern sideways where I am making the "M" first (I hope that made sense). In other words the "M" is laying on its side. Am I using the correct size thread or should I use # 4 medium acrylic yarn to make this with? Or, what size thread should I use? Should I use more than 1 stitch inside the square? If so, how many stitches should I use to make the name solid? I read you can use acrylic yarn to make doilies with. I did make a sample of the "M" with acrylic yarn, but I don't like the way it looks. It just looks to bulky for me. This is my first attempt at making something like this. I thought I could do it, but this is turning out to be harder than I thought it would be.

The # 10 crochet thread is so thin and is a witch to work with!! I am using a size "E" hook to make this with. Should I be using a larger hook? If so, what size?

I have searched how to crochet name doilies on google and I find plenty of name doilies, but they don't come with any pattern instructions so I can get an idea of how to make one of these things.

When my husband and I got married we received a framed name doily as a wedding gift. I thought it would be nice if I made one for each of our children's family and had it framed and gave them as Christmas gifts.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Lynda Fey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Sorry I am not English-speaking but experienced in the filet crochet. I use 3 DCs for the filled cell and DC chain 2 for the empty cell. I used the cotton thread #10 and the hook #10 Boye. I think cotton is better. You can iron it and starch and it will be flat and nice. I hope I helped. If no - ask me any time
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

3. Thanks Lynda Fey thanked for this post
    Likes spoula, N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larisa, The thread that you are talking about, is it the thin thread I am using? I am using Aunt Lydia's crochet thread, classic 10 that is 100% mercerized cotton thread. What is the name of the crochet thread that you use? I will try your suggestion when I put my hand to it again. I will let you know how it turns out. One more thing, should I turn it around sideways or make it straight across? I had to put it down for a while cause I got so aggravated with it. Now, I am making a yellow duck blanket (4 panels across and 4 panels high) for my great niece who is expected to arrive somewhere around Aug. 30 this year. It is nice to hear from you Larisa!

Hugs and Kisses,
    Lynda Fey
    Last edited by Lynda Fey; 03-14-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! I used the Aunt Lydia's #10 for the bedspreads. They are so nice. Please stay in touch I am so curious what you crochet.
    Have a good day
    Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to get me a # 10 Boye hook cause I don't have one. Thank you Larisa for your help. Have a good day.

Lynda Fey

7. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Linda Fey,
    I have made 41 crochet name doilies over the years. You are right that they make good gifts. I have given them as wedding gifts, as well as Christmas gifts. I use the Aunt Lydia's #10 crochet cotton, with a #7 steel hook (tiny hook). The pattern I use has you crocheting the doily from one side end across to the other end, so you will be making the letters sideways. Here is a photo of what I make.

Name Doily-Please Help-dscn7119-jpg

The book I use is by Leisure Arts, called "Your Name & More in Filet Crochet". I hope this helps you. Let me know if I can help you further.

~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo, nice to hear from you. Your doily is very lovely. The crochet hooks I have are "Susan Bates" and are made in Mexico. I'm not sure if my hooks are aluminum or steel. I really don't think they are made of steel. Would you recommend using a D3 crochet hook? That is the smallest hook I have. What "mm" size is your #7 hook? My hook sizes go from D (3.25 mm) to K (6.5 mm). I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this. Larisa uses a Boye hook size 10 and I looked up the UK size 10 and it says a D3 crochet hook is the same size in the U.S. as a #10.

Do you also crochet 2 chains for the open block? How many DC do you use for the filled block? You have the first DC and the last DC, so how many DC's do you use in between to fill up the block? I am new to name doily crocheting or doily crocheting for that matter.

xoxoxo, Lynda Fey