Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

I need help with granny square.

I've done a few granny squares; they all consist of 2 or more colours and the instructions are easy to understand.

However, I want to make a granny square where you do not change colour at all. A mono-coloured granny square. I do not want a standard square - that is a different kettle of fish, I want a granny square where you have all those clusters and open spaces.

This is where I get stuck: when you are finished with Colour #1, they tell you to break the thread and then: Join a new colour into the side of a ch 2 space corner from previous round with a simple knot.

But I don't want that new colour. I want to keep on going with my one and only colour.

How would I do this? Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just stay with the same color when they say to change to a different color or maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

3. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi MeToo.
    Don't break your thread just keep going around. Here is a link for a classic Granny Square same color. Also a video.

I need help with granny square.

Spoula

5. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It never even occurred to me to go to youtube and look for "crochet a granny square in one colour". LOL. So I did, and there's quite a few on this very topic. Here is one from iknitwithcatfur.

I do not see how you can just "keep on going" with your original colour of yarn in a granny square. I tried and tried, getting nowhere. Granny squares are designed for a change of colour after the first round, so when you want to go mono-colour, you have to do things a bit different.

When you are working with that same colour for your second round, you have to slip stitch 3 times in a row to get you to the corner. This is not done with standard multi-colour granny squares.

Thank you to the both of you for responding. And if I am incorrect, can you tell me where I've gone wrong in my understanding.
    Last edited by MeToo!; 02-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo,

Look at this video I think this one is simple.

Last edited by spoula; 02-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Spoula. I will have a look at it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning MeToo, I looked at the video that you attached (the one in Blue) when she slipped stitch to the corner she stopped on the last of 3 double crochets and started the chain 3 (for the first dc in the corner) I would have continued my slip stitch into the corner and started my first dc there as it is more uniform (to me anyway) I thought the corners looked off a little but then that could just be me.

I think the video I posted for you that you said you would look at is a little clearer.
    I know if you make one it will be lovely as I have seen pictures of some of your work and it is very good.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Good Morning MeToo, I looked at the video that you attached (the one in Blue) when she slipped stitch to the corner she stopped on the last of 3 double crochets and started the chain 3 (for the first dc in the corner) I would have continued my slip stitch into the corner and started my first dc there as it is more uniform (to me anyway) I thought the corners looked off a little but then that could just be me.

I think the video I posted for you that you said you would look at is a little clearer.
    I know if you make one it will be lovely as I have seen pictures of some of your work and it is very good.

Spoula
    Hi. I am going to have a second look, now. Tk you very much for advising me on a possible improvement. And thank you for the compliment as well! - MeToo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alrighty, I see slight differences in these two teachers' videos. I doubt that this matters but I notice that in Video #2 (yours) when she is making her slip stitch into the top of the ch 3, there is only 1 loop of the chain on her hook instead of 2. I have never seen it done like that. Is this standard procedure, or is it optional and doesn't matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, I looked at the video again to see what you were referring to about the slip stitch in the top of the ch 3. She is going through the back loop only and that is why she only has one loop. It is a matter or preference some folks crochet through both loops and some go through either the front or the back it depends on the look you want. I believe the back loop only gives a line across the fabric and this is pretty in some patterns. I usually go through both loops.

I hope I have answered your question if that was the spot you were asking about.
    Spoula