Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Different way to do a Picot

Hello, I am thinking about making another dress for my little Granddaughter. I would like to crochet the top part of the bodice in white cotton thread and make the bottom of the bodice with Granny squares. Then I will do a pleated skirt in black material.

I was looking at this Granny Square on line and thought it would be nice but much smaller. If I use a smaller hook maybe I can reduce the size.

Anyway the pattern for the square called for Picots and the way the instructions were written for the Picots I had never done that way before so I looked it up on line and found a video from Hopeful Honey that explained it beautifully.
    I have attached the link to the instructions the video and a picture of the square if you would like to learn how to do this Picot shown in the instructions.

https://kirstenhollowaydesigns.com/2018/11/winter-opulence-crochet-granny-square-pattern.html

The above link is the instructions for the Square

https://youtu.be/TiNnTOgYeEc

Video explains this instruction for a Picot SC

This was the instructions in the pattern that I did not understand.
    Picot sc = Insert hook, yo, pull up a loop, [yo, draw through 1 loop] 3 times to make a ch 3, then yo, and draw through last loop on the hook.
    It is always good to find other ways to do something.
    Spoula

Last edited by spoula; 01-28-2019 at 08:38 AM.

2. Thanks karenlatlas, Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a pretty dress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Sounds like a pretty dress
    Hey, Thanks Jean Marie. I have been searching for the perfect granny square (meaning it can't be to opened but fancy). I have several pictures of the ones I like but have not made up my mind yet.

Is it better to crochet all the squares then join them (I hate to join) or finish only the part of the square that will be finished when joining to the others? I am opened to some suggestions on how to do this.

I am currently working on a cross stitch picture of my granddaughter. I started it 2 weeks ago while I was on holiday. I didn't have a lot of light in the room and the crosses looked like lumps. I pulled some out but gave up and started over again. I am taking it slow. It takes me 2 hours to complete 1 row. The stitches have many color changes.

When I first made cross stitch things I always started with the first color on the page and completed that color for the whole pattern. That is what I was doing on holiday and I didn't like the way it was turning out. This time I am working across the row changing color as I go. It is really slower this way but I have to admit it looks so much better on the front and the back.

Did you decide what color to finish your doll dress ruffle? I am sure it will be lovely like all your other dresses with multiple colors.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I would make the squares seperately and then whip stitch them together how you want them to look on the dress. I think cross stitch takes longer that crocheting; well, depending on if I'm picky on doing a crochet stitch. I've found out that if I'm picky with my crochet stitches then I will go slower. That's just me. I'm not saying that you're picky. I hope you know that.

I think it was kl1000 that said it took her 1 hour to complete 1 row. I didn't understand how it could take one hr. for 1 row until it happened to me and it took me 1 hr. to complete one row. You said it takes you 2 hrs. to complete a row. It must be a long row and you want it to look just right and changing colors. It probably would take me longer than 2 hrs. to finish a row. I think I would get bored with it after awhile and have to put it down and pick it up again later.

Yes, I'm going to finish the doll dress ruffle with red. That will be 4 rnds. If I don't need anymore rnds. maybe I'll just leave it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Spoula,
    I would make the squares seperately and then whip stitch them together how you want them to look on the dress. I think cross stitch takes longer that crocheting; well, depending on if I'm picky on doing a crochet stitch. I've found out that if I'm picky with my crochet stitches then I will go slower. That's just me. I'm not saying that you're picky. I hope you know that.

I think it was kl1000 that said it took her 1 hour to complete 1 row. I didn't understand how it could take one hr. for 1 row until it happened to me and it took me 1 hr. to complete one row. You said it takes you 2 hrs. to complete a row. It must be a long row and you want it to look just right and changing colors. It probably would take me longer than 2 hrs. to finish a row. I think I would get bored with it after awhile and have to put it down and pick it up again later.

Yes, I'm going to finish the doll dress ruffle with red. That will be 4 rnds. If I don't need anymore rnds. maybe I'll just leave it.
    Hi Jean Marie, I had to laugh when you said I was not picky. I just like to make my items the best that I can. I like order in all things. (yes I know there is medication for that Ha ) I think that k1000 was talking about her beautiful bedspread that took 1 hour or more to do one row that is way more stitches then I am doing on my cross stitch. It is tiny and sometimes my "X" are not neat and I pull them out and try again that is why it takes me so long to do a row plus each stitch is a different color thread so I have to change thread and rethread the needle over and over. I finish one row and put it down and later in the day if I feel like it I will pick it up again. I can't do more then 1 row at at time as it drives me crazy. I just try to keep my mind on something so I don't forget how to do things. I seem to be forgetful lately.

I think your dress will come out fine. I saw a video today for a little girl's dress and it reminded me of you. It is multi colored you should make this dress.

Spoula

7. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jean Marie, I had to laugh when you said I was not picky. I just like to make my items the best that I can. I like order in all things. (yes I know there is medication for that Ha ) I think that k1000 was talking about her beautiful bedspread that took 1 hour or more to do one row that is way more stitches then I am doing on my cross stitch. It is tiny and sometimes my "X" are not neat and I pull them out and try again that is why it takes me so long to do a row plus each stitch is a different color thread so I have to change thread and rethread the needle over and over. I finish one row and put it down and later in the day if I feel like it I will pick it up again. I can't do more then 1 row at at time as it drives me crazy. I just try to keep my mind on something so I don't forget how to do things. I seem to be forgetful lately.

I think your dress will come out fine. I saw a video today for a little girl's dress and it reminded me of you. It is multi colored you should make this dress.

Spoula
    Hi Spoula,
    That sounds like something I would do- take it out until it looks just right and I'm satisfied with it. and if I could only do one row at a time I don't know if I would continue doing it. The picture of that girl - I don't like her hair-do.