Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Pattern Help

Post Thanks / Like

Pattern Help

Hi. I am completely new to crocheting and decided to buy a magazine to get me started as it included the pattern, yarn and hook but I am stuck already after the first row!
    It’s a circular pattern so I had to chain for 34 and join into a ring. The next step says this but I just don’t understand - Rnd1: (1ch, 1dc) in next st, 1ch, 1dc in each st to end.
    Can anyone help please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and Welcome Esmecat1
    Once you ch 34 and join into a ring or circle then you ch 1 and put 1 dc in the next st and then ch 1 and dc in the next st and do this all the way around. Keep doing a ch 1 and dc until you get back to the beginning of the rnd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me or should that start with a chain 3 after the joining?

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you making?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I am crocheting Tides of Change.
    I have over half of it done. After I finish I am going to use silicon on the back. It will make it non-slip.
    Going to use it as a rug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmecat1 View Post
    Hi. I am completely new to crocheting and decided to buy a magazine to get me started as it included the pattern, yarn and hook but I am stuck already after the first row!
    It’s a circular pattern so I had to chain for 34 and join into a ring. The next step says this but I just don’t understand - Rnd1: (1ch, 1dc) in the next st, 1ch, 1dc in each st to end.
    Can anyone help please?
    Hello Esmecat1, After you join your 34 chains (ch1,1dc) in next stitch... 2 stitches in the same stitch

You do not have to chain3 as your first stitch is a chain 1 then one double crochet

then you do 1ch,1dc, in each stitch to the end. *that means you will be putting 2 stitches in each chain across which is 1ch,1dc)

At least this is how I understood the question.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 06-25-2018 at 02:01 PM.

7. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then her stitches will lean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello BobbyJoe, If you are replying to my explanation to Esmecat1. I answered her question concerning the stitches in the parentheses these are collective stitches. She did not write a complete pattern just a question concerning the (ch1,1dc). I don't know if these stitches will lean or not. Please see below the explanation of stitches in parentheses as well as the link on "how to read a crochet pattern". I hope this helps her with her pattern and shows why I answered her question the way I did.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/learntoread.html

Crochet patterns use symbols to signal repeated text, special instructions and clarifying information.
    ( ) Work instructions within parentheses in place directed; used to indicate collective stitch groups worked as one procedure in the same place; used for additional or clarifying information, indicated in italic text.
    Examples:·(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next corner sp
    ·
    (sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc) in next st
    ·(48 dc) – indicating stitch count at end of row or round
    ·(88 [94, 106, 112] sc) – indicating multiple stitch counts for additional garment sizes or rows/rnds.

spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I understand. That is why I asked about chaining at the start. I am sure that she would be able to do the start of the round. I just like to have complete information before I answer. That way I know what is going on.
    Really I would like to know the pattern. That truly gives me all the insight.
    Sorry if I have offended you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbieJoe View Post
    Yes, I understand. That is why I asked about chaining at the start. I am sure that she would be able to do the start of the round. I just like to have complete information before I answer. That way I know what is going on.
    Really I would like to know the pattern. That truly gives me all the insight.
    Sorry if I have offended you.
    Hi BobbyJoe,
    You didn't offend me it is difficult to write what you want to say and be understood in an email or on this forum. I too would like to have the complete information or a snippet of the pattern in order to answer correctly but sometimes a new person joins these forums to get answers so they can finish or start their project. I tried to answer her question as she wrote it. I have found that some patterns are very difficult to understand and not always written or tested. I like to help if I can. One lady sent me a snippet of her pattern and I had to make part of it and take pictures for her to understand. We are all here to be helpful.
    Spoula

12. Likes missro007 liked this post