Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

2. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You did a good job - this dress is beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldeflowyr View Post
    You did a good job - this dress is beautiful!
    r

Hello wyldeflowyr, Thank you so much for the compliment.

Spoula

5. Likes wyldeflowyr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for sharing your project. It is a beautiful dress to save because grandmother made it. I particularly like way you joined the skirt to the top of the dress with the sewed in belt (I am a man who does not talk about dresses very often so I am not familiar with the correct terms -- perhaps I should have called the top the bodice). The dress looks like it came right our the department store and is something that you should be proud to gift.
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgmar View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing your project. It is a beautiful dress to save because grandmother made it. I particularly like way you joined the skirt to the top of the dress with the sewed in belt (I am a man who does not talk about dresses very often so I am not familiar with the correct terms -- perhaps I should have called the top the bodice). The dress looks like it came right our the department store and is something that you should be proud to gift.
    Thank you so much jdgmar, I use to make my daughter her baby and toddler dresses when she was little and it was fun and brought back fond memories for me to make little dresses again.

I believe they do call the top a bodice. Normally you would gather the skirt and attach it to the bodice. The skirt was difficult to get it to gather correctly as you need very long stitches in order to pull the gathers. This is done better with a sewing machine. I also didn't want the inside of the dress to be uncomfortable to the babies skin so I made a pleat on the inside to cover the gathers and make the bodice seamless. The inside is as neat as the outside.

The belt is not sewn on I made loops on the side of the dress so that the belt covers the bodice and the skirt seams for the look. I think simple is more elegant.

I truly thank you and everyone on this forum that let folks like me and others know if our designs or items are lovely or not. I don't mind if someone says they don't like what I made that only makes me try harder.
    Spoula

8. Likes jdgmar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The dress is so special. I think she will love it.
    Leona

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mnleona View Post
    The dress is so special. I think she will love it.
    Leona
    Thank you Leona, what a nice thing to say.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this was a few years ago, but I love this little dress! We work so hard for our grandchildren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Carrieyounice, Thank you I am glad you liked the dress and yes it is true we work hard for our grandchildren.

What did you mean "I know this was a few years ago"? I didn't understand that sentence.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello,

I put down my crochet hook for awhile and decided to make a little dress for my grand daughter's birthday. I did not finish it in time for the birthday party as I had planned.

I didn't have a pattern and I wish I had as I started to cut out the top, I cut it to her measurements and forgot all about the seams. It has been many years since I have sewn anything in a long time. I embroidered the top in a single rose.

I did this dress all by hand not a machine and I have lots of pricks on every finger. I stitched the neck, sleeves and belt in tiny pink stitches but you cannot see them in the picture. I simply cannot take good pictures.

Spoula
    Dear Spoula,
    I haven't been on in a while and I just now saw your beautiful little dress. You are so Blessed. You have such talents that I am in awe.

I used to make clothes for my kids when they were young. I didn't have a sewing machine again until lately. I would like to get back into it. I could never do what you did tho.

Your grandbaby will look awesome in her new dress. What a keepsake!! Grandma sewed this dress all by hand!!! WOW!!!!!!!

Thank You for sharing your talents with us. I love to see all the great talent, ideas, everything that is posted here.

Myra