Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Well,as I said I don't know anything about knitting or crocheting,and math and measurements was never one of my best subjects,so I'm afraid I'm not too sure about tape measurements for knitting and crocheting and all that stuff,or else I would try to help and answer her questions as best I could myself.Thats why I told her if she can't find much on the internet on Google or YouTube or has a hard time understanding it,to post on some friendly knitting and crocheting forums and see what other people have to say,and if they could help explain it to her,or point out any useful links or tips to her.

When I first joined the forum,I must admit I was appalled when I saw some of the hurtful and rude responses to her post on the Steel Aluminum Needles,when she only asked a few questions about the loud noise of the knitting needles.Back then she was genuinely curious about the loud noise of the knitting needles and was scared that using those needles would cause alot of noise,and would wake family members in the house like myself, who might be sleeping when she's working on her knitting and crocheting. She wanted to know,and had asked if anyone else thought they were too loud or not.While the first response or two like yours were helpful and friendly,some other members called her nuisance,telling her to go away, and calling her questions stupid and silly.

No one should be called a nuisance for asking a question and told that their questions are stupid,silly or made to feel ashamed of for asking any questions or commenting on a forum seeking help.I can understand that they might have not have liked her post,or misunderstood her questions thinking she wasn't being serious,but if they can't understand her question or thought it was silly,then they should've just kindly not responded to it,instead of being hurtful about it,no matter how many spelling mistakes or how many questions she has. She was in tears and heartbroken for days,thinking that she had done something horribly wrong,and thought it was her fault,and that she had to apologize for it,when she was only asking a few simple questions,and for the last month or so,has been hesitant about posting on the forum and asking any questions for fear that someone might take it the wrong way.

But thats all in the past now,and luckily I was able to talk to the admin,and Barbara G about it,and they helped and edited the hurtful comments, and have been very friendly and good about helping us,as well as keeping watch so that no one makes anymore hurtful comments to her or anyone who might be needing help on the forum.Thankfully, she has recently started posting and asking for help again on the size of her needles (she is working on a knitted or crocheted purse,and kept wondering why it wasn't working out,and she found out she might not be using the right size needles).

Thats why I also joined the forum,to help explain things to others if people have a hard time understanding her posts,but to also keep a watchful eye on how others might treat her because of her autism.All I hope and ask is that the forum continues to be a welcoming and friendly place for her to seek help,and that people help her if they can.

We really appreciate the help,especially with helpful comments,and links from you and other helpful forum members, but if anyone can't help her,or understand her questions sometimes, then it's alright if they can't help or respond, or if they ask for her (or me) to clarify something,as long as they aren't hurtful or making negative comments to her.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think all of your post will help all of us to understand the questions in a different light.

Thank you for sharing and helping your sister.

If she has trouble with using the right knitting needles look on the yarn that was purchased it gives you recommended size both for knitting and crochet she should start there first.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi UndyingQueen,
    I hope I didn't say anything hurtful to crochetknitfan. I use spell check on the computer/laptop. That might help your sister. I know it helps me. Sometimes I miss a letter when spelling a word or I have 2 letters in a word backwards and having spell check on the computer helps me. I don't want crochetknitfan to take this wrong. Her spelling is good. Just thought this might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.I had forgotten that I had spell check turned off in our browser.I usually have it shut off because it sometimes gets annoying for me when it auto-corrects things I don't want it to correct,like if I'm using slang,or shortened words, and sometimes the spellcheck will think I mean something different,and will auto-correct it and change the word into something else.But maybe turning it on would help her when she's online.

Don't worry, you haven't done or said anything hurtful to her.Most of the people have been very friendly and helpful here,it was just one or two other members that posted some really rude and hurtful comments to her back in Feb.You've been very helpful in your responses,and we both really appreciate all the help,tips and suggestions you give.

Thanks again for all the help,and suggestions.I'll try turning on spellcheck more often when she's online,and see if that helps her abit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi CrochetKnitFan and UndyingQueen,
    How are you?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi CrochetKnitFan and UndyingQueen,
    How are you?
    Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie,

Sorry for the late reply.Just seen this message now actually.We are doing pretty well.My sister (crochetknitfan) has been busy,and took some time off from crocheting and knitting,but she is getting back into it lately.She usually takes a break during the spring and summer months, and then during the winter months (like now),she usually starts knitting and crocheting again, cause she likes making slippers, hats or socks.Just the other day, she started on making a pair of socks for herself.So I'm sure she'll be back on here posting again,over the next few months.

Thanks again for checking in,and making us feel so welcome here.We really appreciate it.

7. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi UndyingQueen,
    Your Welcome. I just finished crocheting row 6 of the skirt on a doll dress. I also am trying to crochet a dress that I couldn't find the pattern for so I'm trying to follow the picture of the dress. I'm crocheting pieces of the reindeer hat too.

Thanks for writing back and letting me know how you both are doing.

Maybe you know this but you can click on 'CrochetTalk' on the top of this page and you will get 'Main', 'General Chit Chat' , etc. Click on one of these to post a new link or just to see other peoples posts. You can also put something in the search box if you are looking for something.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 11-20-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those projects sound pretty cool!Good luck on all your projects,I hope they turn out well.The reindeer hat, in particular, sounds like a pretty neat and fun project.

Thanks for the info,I'll be sure to remember that and check those out.I'll also mention it to my sister as well,in case she wants to search anything on the forum here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a craft show at my sister's church and I had one reindeer hat that I sold so I'm starting to make some more reindeer hats.

Your Welcome. On the purple bar on top of this page if you hover over the arrow by the word 'Forum' you will get a list of things and one of them is 'new posts' and if you click on 'new posts' it will go to 'new posts'

11. Thanks UndyingQueen thanked for this post