Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

To block of not to block crochet and knits that is the question

Awhile back someone posted if they should block their finished item or not. I saw this knitted baby blanket that was finished then blocked. I think in this case the blocking was good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks ramblyambly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never blocked anything but that is wild. Wondering if it was the yarn or stitch used to cause it to be wonky before blocking. I don't knit so I don't know if blocking is more for knitted items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello LI Roe,
    I never have blocked crochet items except a doily now and then because I used starch to make then stiff. I have made several knit sweaters and now that I have seen that picture I think maybe I should have blocked them. I don't know if blocking is more for knits either but based on this picture I am thinking yes.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Often knits can be of a finer weight and therefore benefit from blocking. Fine crochet is the same way - the doily is a perfect example. Just remember that 100% acrylic doesn't tend to block well because it has too much memory. Natural fibers or at least blends block the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55, Thanks for that information. I agree about the knits being blocked because the stockingnet stitch rolls. I am currently working on a baby dress with wool like super fine yarn that is 85% acrylic. It has an intricate stitch design for the skirt. I was thinking about blocking it so that the design shows nicely. I don't usually block my crochet items. Based on your information about acrylics not blocking well I think I will just skip that process.

Thanks again for that information its good to know.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoula - If, when you finish the baby dress, you feel it could use blocking, you could wet block it using rust-proof pins and then give it a liberal spray of spray starch. I have done this with lace scarves made from acrylic. It doesn't work as well as it would with a natural fiber, but the outcome was much better than just leaving it alone. I know another person had mentioned using hairspray instead of spray starch, but I would worry that it could yellow the material, especially if it was a light color. Maybe it just depends on the hairspray!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    Thanks again for the post on blocking. When I finish the dress I will see if the design shows or not. Currently the dress is very soft and since it is for a toddler I don't want to use hairspray or starch. I will take your advise and if I do decide to block it I will use just plain water to spread the design and align the stitches. I tend to crochet loose and this yarn is so fine my stitches are not as tight as I would like. That is one of the reasons I thought about blocking the dress. I am working on the sleeves now. I will post the picture soon. You let me know what you think.
    Spoula

9. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Awhile back someone posted if they should block their finished item or not. I saw this knitted baby blanket that was finished then blocked. I think in this case the blocking was good.
    Dear Spoula,
    I cannot get your attachment to open. Is there a different link so that I might be able to see your attachment?
    I am not too electronic savy sometimes.

Thanks, Myra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heidi89 View Post
    Dear Spoula,
    I cannot get your attachment to open. Is there a different link so that I might be able to see your attachment?
    I am not too electronic savy sometimes.

Thanks, Myra
    Hello Heidi89,
    The attachment is just a pdf file. It shows a picture of a knitted square where the material is bunched together when not blocked and the other side is the blocked side where the material lays flat.

You would need the Acrobat Reader app on your computer to read a pdf file. That app comes on most computers if you don't have it you can download it for free from the Internet.

I was just looking on the Internet for blocking or not to block and found several sites that showed what an item would look like if you didn't block it and I copied the picture to a pdf file and that is what I posted nothing special about the file. You might try the Internet to see if you have more luck just type to block or not to block knits.

I really don't know why the link is not working for you I wish I could help you.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Spoula,

Thank You for getting back to me. I'm not too high tech. savy. So, it is probably my fault. I have never blocked anything and thought I would chk it out.

Myra