Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

Blocking techniques

Hello,
    I have completed a shawl and the instructions say to block. The yarn is 50% wool/50% acrylic. I would like to “block” it by using a steam iron and a cloth between the shawl and the iron. Is this an acceptable blocking technique? Or does it need blocking at all? I am attaching a photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nancy, it looks (from my chair here) like this shawl is lacy, drapey and flexible. So in my opinion it would not need blocking, it will look great the way it is. This is not something you are framing and putting on the wall. Or a sweater that needs to fit just right.

Anyone agree or disagree?

3. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the blocking is required to keep the shape of the design at the bottom. You might try just spraying the bottom with water and shape the petals to lie flat using pins to hold it until it dries. I think Jean Marie posted awhile back on rather to block or not to block. Maybe she has more ideas on blocking her items.
    I agree with Metoo that the shawl is lovely and will look good even if you don't block it, but if you want the design to show without drooping you may need to block the ends per the pattern instructions.
    spoula

5. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So my idea of using a steam iron and a cloth isn’t a good idea I gather!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nancy,
    I really can't say if using steam is a good idea or not. I have read on the Internet to not iron yarn at all. If you have any of the yarn left that you made your item with why don't you make a small swatch using the design stitch and try the steam. See if it flattens out the yarn or if it looks nice go for it. It is a lovely item and you put a lot of work into it so I would hate to give you advise that would destroy your work.
    Spoula

8. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

to iron or not to iron

[QUOTE=spoula;205073]Hi Nancy,
    I really can't say if using steam is a good idea or not. I have read on the Internet to not iron yarn at all. If you have any of the yarn left that you made your item with why don't you make a small swatch using the design stitch and try the steam. See if it flattens out the yarn or if it looks nice go for it. It is a lovely item and you put a lot of work into it so I would hate to give you advise that would destroy your work.
    Spoula[/QUOTE]

I agree with Spoula, some yarns just do not iron well, and others don't hold their shape after the ironing is completed. The few times I've used an iron (on 100% cotton yarns), I've still blocked the garment out to ensure the shape is correct prior to ironing, and that's worked well. Hope this helps.

10. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyMcQuade View Post
    So my idea of using a steam iron and a cloth isn’t a good idea I gather!
    Steam ironing any yarn with acrylic is not a good idea (IMO) because acrylic can somewhat melt with a hot iron, so you can "kill" the acrylic - it makes the acrylic very stiff and scratchy and may not bode well with future washings, even with putting a cloth over it. What some people do if they have a larger item to block is pin it on a bed or carpeted floor - put down a clean sheet, shape and pin the item with non-rust pins, lightly spray the item with water and then let it dry. I've seen this technique work very well. Usually the reason for blocking is to show the item's stitch/pattern detail and so the item will hold it's shape. Of course, this usually has to be done after each wash.

12. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting and makes good sense now. Thanks.

14. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post