Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Interpreting pattern

I recently started on a beautiful shawl but the pattern has me a bit confused. I have contacted the designer but haven’t heard back from her.
    I was wondering if one of you very talented ladies could look at the pattern to see if you agree with it or if there appears to be a problem. The website is:
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/lib...you-pineapples
    I have gotten to Row 6 and between the last 2 shells there is a large space and I don’t know if there is a problem there. I have attached a photo of my work at that spot.
    Thank you for your help.

Attachment 18856Attachment 18856

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nancy, Your picture looks like you are using a thinner or smaller yarn then what the pattern calls for. It is difficult to tell in a picture. Her instructions are very specific if you use smaller yarn and try to use a larger hook the pattern will not come out correctly and she won't help you. The pattern also states to remember to repeat the instructions in brackets some more times as each next row will be bigger. If you missed a repeat that could cause you to be off or have that gap.
    In the mean time some other ladies might also respond. I will try to make a swatch to see if I have the same issue.
    I will tell you that I have had many issues with free patterns as they are not always tested so that could also be a problem.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the size of yarn recommended but my swatch required me to use a 5.5mm hook instead of a 6mm. Thank you for the information about free patterns. I had that experience with one pattern I used and it took forever to sort it out and get it right. Lesson learned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again Nancy,
    So you are trying to match the gauge too? Since it is a shawl I wouldn't worry too much about the gauge you can always add more pineapples to your shawl as the patterns indicates. Or you may need to crochet tighter but that makes your hands hurt after awhile.
    Spoula

5. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did 7 rows. On row 6 I think that's just the way it is. That's just the way it's supposed to look.

7. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! I will proceed and post more info as 8 progress.