Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apejaz View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am new here and to crocheting. I was just wondering how long everyone has been crocheting for and what got you into it.

Thanks.
    I started crocheting about 45 years ago. When I saw all the things other people made I wanted it but, no one would make me anything even if I offered to pay them or give me anything. So I decided if you want it make it yourself. Then I got so good at crocheting I got jobs teaching others this wonderful Craft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I am in the process of a scarf. I have to keep telling myself its ok and that it is my 1st project. I started and re started about 10 times.....

I agree about the portable thing. I like that while waiting for our sons soccer game to start, I can sit there and crochet....lol.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone.

I am new here and to crocheting. I was just wondering how long everyone has been crocheting for and what got you into it.

Thanks.
    Since 1970 - I saw my father working on a beautiful medallion as
    part of a bedspread from an Italian pattern brought over by my
    step-mother's Aunt. #30 Thread. She had no English, and my Father
    had no crochet terms whatever. I had to write down his motions, then
    went out and bought a Coats and Clark "HOW TO" book and taught myself
    to read and write instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! I love #30 thread a lot!! I crochet filet items mostly. have a good day
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a dive right in there kinda gal. My baby brother & wife, & my oldest niece & hubby were about to have their first children. So I decided I needed to learn crochet & knitting. Bought a little tiny book by the check out stand for (I think) 35 cents on crochet. First I crocheted a hot pad. Then I made some baby blankets. I figure if you can single crochet & double crochet, you can pretty much make anything that you want to! ~ With the knitting, I bought a magazine/book that said on the front, "Teach Yourself to Knit". First I did a few rows of knit, pearl, knit, pearl. Then I made a baby bunting. That was 28 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
    Since 1970 - I saw my father working on a beautiful medallion as
    part of a bedspread from an Italian pattern brought over by my
    step-mother's Aunt. #30 Thread. She had no English, and my Father
    had no crochet terms whatever. I had to write down his motions, then
    went out and bought a Coats and Clark "HOW TO" book and taught myself
    to read and write instructions.
    Dear Bill,

That is Awesome! I taught my son when he was a youngster. But now it is not 'manly' enough for him to take to ?? Work?? With him. He is an underwater welder, and works out in the Gulf of Mexico. I tease him, he needs something to do on his down time. But........
    Thank you for sharing your story with us.
    Myra

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone.

Thanks.
    Hello Apejaz,
    When I was a teenager my sister-in-law's mother tried to teach me to crochet with thread. I just couldn't get it. Then, my mother-in-law taught me with yarn and I have been 'Hooked' ever since. That has been about 44 yrs ago. I have done some thread now but I am not comfortable with it even yet.
    Myra

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a book and yarn, taught myself how so I could make my grandmother an afghan for her birthday. It was a granny square afghan, I was 13 now 60

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Apejaz,
    My name is Mary, i have been crocheting for 40 years. I tought myself by first reading a book on crochet. Then by buying a baby blanket pattern and following the instructions. I haven't been able to follow a tutorial on crocheting items. I do best by reading a pattern with instructions that are written out. Good luck with your crocheting. You will find it is a great way to destress when you are anxious about things.
    Welcome to the group. You will enjoy being here. I would also suggest you go online, search for free crochet patterns. There are some great bloggers who have tutorials on how to do certain stitches. They also will teach you how to do double crochet,, triple crochet, and other stiches. Lion Brand also has a great web site that will teach you how to do other stitches. I hope this information has helped you.
    Last edited by maryabaribeau@yahoo.com; 11-07-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Mispelled words

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, Apejaz. I've been crocheting since I was 9 years old, so that's close to 48 years. I wanted to learn how to crochet those beautiful ruffled doilies that my mother made and sold just as soon as they were hot off the hook, starched, and pressed into shape.
    ---HarriEtta