Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Crocheting for Charity

Good morning,

Have any of you ever crocheted for charity? I have often thought about making little crocheted hats for babies in the hospital. I think it is a wonderful idea and would not take much time at all to do.

I think that this would be a wonderful service project for the older girls in Girl Scouts.

What are your thoughts about other possible crocheting charities?

2. Likes maryb26 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know one of the church groups here makes baby clothes and baby afghans as well as other items for the local women's shelter. Often, when a woman seeks a shelter, she is leaving with only what she and her children have on their backs. I'm sure sweaters, mittens scarves and blankets would be welcomed. Stuffed toys for children at Christmas might be another avenue to look into. Oh, even retirement and nursing homes might appreciate this. Often the residents don't have family that comes calling. A gift like this could be just what they need. This seems like a wonderful service project for anyone including youth groups and scouts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone heard of Project Linus, I mentioned it in another post. It is a charity that makes hat, blankets and such stuff for new born in hospital. I contributed for a few years but then stopped as the postage was so expensive. If I lived in a larger community I would be able to do drop off, but where we are is just a rural small community and I have to mail things.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone,

I think people crocheting and knitting for charities are a real blessing. For my part, can't say I have done any since I am slowed down by all the other things I got to do in the day. Before becoming a mum (yes I am a first time mum and enjoying it) I used to finish my projects in a short time but now, with a baby and a dog (not mentioning the husband! ) it is just a teensy bit harder.
    On Baby Centre UK a woman of the community asked who could crochet or knit little hats and blankets for stillbirths. She went through such a hard moment herself when she lost her little angel when she saw how the staff just put the tiny little bodies away with nothing on.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi FairyNatB
    I really like your suggestion about baby hats and blankets. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a baby, it would heart breaking. Maybe we should start looking for places to donate some of crochet work.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are an animal lover, try Snuggles for Animals. They distribute blankets to animals in shelters all over the US. I've done a few before and I am probably going to do more soon for my local shelter, since winter is coming up. My town was voted #2 Worst Weather City in the US by Weather Channel a few months ago -- I'm sure some homeless animals could use them!

Snuggles Project
    Last edited by writer_crafter; 09-25-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like another poster suggested, Project Linus is the only one that I've heard of. You could always contact your local churches and women's shelters as well. Maybe even adoption or foster agencies would accept them for the newborns or babies that they have. I wonder if you could also do a charity raffle of your crochet items at your local crafts fair, like for each crochet item someone buys, an item is placed in a donation bin right there that will then be taken to the place of your choice (church, shelter etc). People are more likely to buy if they know it's for a good cause. Then you could also donate half of the proceeds as well, and use the rest of the money to buy more crocheting supplies. Include a little card along with the recipet that explains where the item / money is going, and your customer will feel really good about their 'good deed'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this is still valid or not, but a friend of mine has been knitting dolls which are sent to orphaned kids in Africa. The web sight she directed me to also has a pattern for a crocheted doll. The websight is:

Duduza Pattern

Another sight I found with information about this is :

Comfort Dolls | CINDI

I haven't found an address yet that I'm sure works for sending these to yet, but I'm still trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chemo caps for kids with cancer are big around here. I live an hour north of Memphis where the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is and many in the area pick St. Jude as one of their favorite charities because children do not have to pay to go there. It was started by Danny Thomas and is now kept going by his daughter and all the communities around Memphis.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH !! that is wonderful, I guess Chemo Caps would be a great thing to crochet. Colourful and cute, I guess you could add things to them, I'm thinking like buttons and such. I have some buttons that are Lady Bugs, Angels, Butterflys and so on.