Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

My new Addi steel hook

The Addi Steel 1.75mm hook arrived yesterday, so I started a miniature doily (OK, let's call it a coaster) consisting of only 7 rounds.

When I first held it, before even using it, I thought it was light, cheap looking and insubstantial compared to my other steel hooks (Milward & Boye).

Well. What a pleasant surprise this new Addi, gold tipped hook turned out to be. Using this, I feel I was born to crochet with thread. As smooth and slidey as could be.

I use a Susan Bates cushion with a steel hook. I don't know how anyone can stand using a steel hook without some sort of cushion.

Anyone else here use Addi hooks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I love my Addi swing hook
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    My aunt only used steel hooks and I have hers. She did a lot of doilies. After using the large ones, they have a very different feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're peaking my curiosity, ladies. I'm going to investigate this. I'm assuming the hooks they normally sell are aluminum. Yes? Please could you tell me what a cushion is? I'm guessing you don't mean the wooden or foam-like end on some hooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrochetSuzieQ View Post
    You're peaking my curiosity, ladies. I'm going to investigate this. I'm assuming the hooks they normally sell are aluminum. Yes? Please could you tell me what a cushion is? I'm guessing you don't mean the wooden or foam-like end on some hooks.
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/nr-1630/s...-crochet-hooks

This little device is used on skinny little steel hooks. It is a great invention. It is not quite the same as those hooks that come with a round padding on the end of the shaft.

Addi makes all kinds of hooks, including bamboo. These are fine hooks, with a pointy head and sculpted, sharp groove and throat. Of course, some crocheters don't prefer that kind, but I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Cushions for crochet hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/nr-1630/s...-crochet-hooks

This little device is used on skinny little steel hooks. It is a great invention. It is not quite the same as those hooks that come with a round padding on the end of the shaft.

Addi makes all kinds of hooks, including bamboo. These are fine hooks, with a pointy head and sculpted, sharp groove and throat. Of course, some crocheters don't prefer that kind, but I do.
    I have also used those cute little marshmallows sold at the craft stores to glue together to make snowmen. They are easy to pierce a hole and slide the crochet hook in. I recently had hand surgery and couldn't grip very well, and those were a dream. Sometimes I used one and sometimes, I liked the feel of two in the center of a hook. It reminds me of the chalk holder that some teachers used to have to use due to their allergy to the chalk. I have also used those jelly type pencil cushions to put on my larger hooks.
    Katy

Post Thanks / Like
    @kl1000. Some crocheters just love the Addi Swing Hook but others hate it. To each his own. I have heard a few saying that it is suitable only for those with knife hold; and others saying the opposite! Which hold do you use? I'm a pencil-er.

@GramaKate. "I have also used those jelly type pencil cushions to put on my larger hooks."

I've found some kind of pencil cushions at Staples but they are not "jelly like". A soft jellyish material sounds as if it would be better than the other kind. Pencil grips seem to be useful only for hooks that are the same size as a...pencil. My other hooks of course fall thru.

To tell the truth, for non-steel hooks, I am still hunting for the perfect grip. What do they call the "cute little marshmallows sold at the craft stores to glue together to make snowmen."? They are not always helpful at Michael's, so I'd like to know the offical correct name, if you can remember it.

At first glance I'd say that the Furl's hooks are the most comfy to use. You don't have to fiddle with any kind of cushioning device. Hah, hah. I guess fools and their money are soon parted (hope I'm not offending anyone here) but this one is sold out:

https://furlscrochet.com/collections...e-crochet-hook

Post Thanks / Like
    I am right-handed and use hook like a pen. The Addi Swing is perfect under my big thumb and the hand relaxes. I use hooks 0.6 mm - 1.0 mm. They are all steel. I love Clover Amour hooks. These are not sharp though. You will wonder but the cheap Knit-pro hook from India is so good. The best I have is Hamanaka Japan hook. I have Tulips too. But...
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know of any name that was attached to the bag or package. They were by the chenille pipe cleaners and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Kl1000. Re Knit-Pro and Hamanaka. Never heard of those two brands of hooks, so I looked them up. They don't appear to be readily available in North America as far as I can see. Too bad for me, I'd love to try every single hook out there.

Anyway, I don't quite see how you can hold a Clover Amour hook with pencil grip. It seems to be quite flat, I can't imagine how you make that work for you. However, maybe even within pencil-grippers, there are different styles of holding and using.