Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Ignorance is not bliss...

Hi, kids. I finally found a table runner pattern in Christmas colours which calls for "self-striping" yarn. The picture showed a runner with a real, striped look. I didn't know what self-striping is, I thought it just meant a standard-issue, multi-colour, variegated yarn. Apparently they use the term "ombre" now.

So I ordered some tri-colour (green & red & white & bit of light pink where it changes colour) yarn for my project and started my easy-to-do runner. Heh, heh. It didn't take too long for me to realize that those weren't the stripes I wanted - just little patches.

In any case, I am not ripping it apart and I am not spending any more money. It will be a nice blotchy Christmas runner and I'll post the picture here when it's done! By Christmas, I hope.

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes cherieballog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Meto,
    You are so funny, I am sure your table runner will turn out beautiful. Your doily was pretty and it turned out very pretty. I know what you are talking about that stripe yarn. The colors are supposed to be longer so you can get through one row with the same color. Oh well, good luck.
    Spoula

4. Likes cherieballog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see a picture when it's done!

6. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    Hi, kids. I finally found a table runner pattern in Christmas colours which calls for "self-striping" yarn. The picture showed a runner with a real, striped look. I didn't know what self-striping is, I thought it just meant a standard-issue, multi-colour, variegated yarn. Apparently they use the term "ombre" now.

So I ordered some tri-colour (green & red & white & bit of light pink where it changes colour) yarn for my project and started my easy-to-do runner. Heh, heh. It didn't take too long for me to realize that those weren't the stripes I wanted - just little patches.

In any case, I am not ripping it apart and I am not spending any more money. It will be a nice blotchy Christmas runner and I'll post the picture here when it's done! By Christmas, I hope.
    Hello Metoo,
    I just had a similar experience with "self stripeing" yarn. Mine a little different. I saw it in BRIGHT neon colors at walmart and thought it would be awesome for a toy (stuffed) that I wad going to try. But for me the stripes were to long. I don't know how it will turn out, but, I am not going to frog-it. :-) :-)
    Myra

Post Thanks / Like
    @Myra. "to Frog it" means - to rip it apart and start again? Nah! Just keep going and then let's see what you've got. This is a toy, not an elegant sweater made of cashmere that you are selling for $300.00.

I am going to post a photo of my slow-going Christmas tri-colour, come hell or high water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can relate, I’ve had a few projects not come out at planned.
    I hope it does still turn out as something you will enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, This is so frustrating! I bought some self striping yarn with beautiful vibrant colors for a scarf only to find the color segments were only 4-5 inches long. I must have tried 10 different patterns before I found one that looked decent. It would be helpful if the length of the color segments was identified on the wrapper. Dafy

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dafydil. Excellent point. It sure is an irritant to have to try so many different projects to accommodate a yarn that was misrepresented or at best incompletely described in the first place.

There's self-striping; there's variegated (ombre); and then there is cake yarn/sweet roll. Not the same! I am going to put my 2 cents' worth in to the yarn companies.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know. Sometimes the makers eye is more critical than others who see it. Sometimes when we make things, we do not like it, for a hundred reasons, the color, the pattern, they way we crocheted...the list goes on forever. Yet others when you post it go on and on how beautiful it is. Then you start looking at it again and start seeing it like they do. Don't just frog things without giving it a chance. Look at what you have, but this time look for all the good things about it, and about the hard work you have put into it.