Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Plarn

Post Thanks / Like

Plarn

👋🏿 all,
    It's been a while since I've checked in. Been on summer vacation in Florida and doing a lot of crochet research before it's time to head back and get ready for the fall.
    I've discovered plarn, plastic grocery bags that can be made into crochet plastic yarn. It is tedious to cut and join the bags but fun to make stuff out of. Anyone tried it yet? I'm working on a shopping bag, I'll post a pic when it's done.
    Hope all,are having a great summer😊

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nia, Plarn is fun to work with. It makes great totes. I cut the bags with a large paper cutter. It makes the cutting go quickly. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello nia0309,
    I read you post and I have never heard of plarn before. I went online to see what it is. I saw a you tube video wit very detailed instructions on making a bag or tote. It looks easy and I have lots of grocery bags that we recycle. I think after I finish the baby dress I started I might try to make another pool tote as it would be more water proof then the tote I am currently using at the pool.
    Thanks for the information and sharing on this forum with others. There are so many new ideas now and fun things to try.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dafysil, I am glad I read your post too so if I decide to make another tote using plarn cutting with a large paper cutter is easier and should go faster then by hand.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    My church crochet group is using plarn to make sleep mats for the homeless and while I am on number six, I am not thrilled about working with it but it is for a great cause so I do it. We cut the bags into individual continuous strips and loop them together (no tying of strips either when cutting or looping) and then roll them into balls. We get, depending on the size of the bag, about four to six strips per bag. I have to use a P hook (Q was too big since I tend at times to crochet a tad looser and the smaller ones are tighter to use) so the mats are more closed in and without visible holes. It takes about 1000 plastic bags for one mat (about 40-44 inches wide and six feet long) since we can't use the handle part nor the very bottom of the bags. When we cut them, we use the rotary cutter and self healing mats and it goes way quicker than trying to use scissors, though some gals are quite adept at that way too.

Post Thanks / Like
    God bless you, LI Roe! My church group makes hats, scarves and washcloths for the homeless and lapghans for nursing homes and women's shelters. I've read that it takes about a year to make a sleeping mat with plarn. I'll be interested in how long it takes you.
    Dafy

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dafydil;199381]God bless you, LI Roe! My church group makes hats, scarves and washcloths for the homeless and lapghans for nursing homes and women's shelters. I've read that it takes about a year to make a sleeping mat with plarn. I'll be interested in how long it takes you.
    Dafy[/QUOTE]

Thank you. It takes anywhere between 60 to 100 hours per mat, depending on level of skill and how quick a person crochets. I'm a fast crocheter so I would say I am on the lower end of the amount of hours. When I first started, I really didn't like working with it because I was used to yarn but it turned out to be easier than I thought once I got the hang of it, LOL. Even though I am in southeastern North Carolina, it does get a tad colder for a very short time in the winter so I also will be doing hats and scarves and different size afghans of yarn. I do prefer yarn but since they are used to sleep on, to cover themselves when it rains and also as lean to's, even as a cushion under their sleeping bags, it is well worth doing, even though it is a strain on your hands. They are donated to an organization called StreetReach which assists the homeless, veterans, anyone in need. It will be an ongoing project for us. One of our church members actually saw a homeless guy riding a bicycle and had one of the sleep mats on the handlebars. So far our group has made 20 of them and we are getting more people involved in collecting bags, cutting looping and rolling them into balls. Some girls don't crochet so they do the prep work for those who do crochet. It is just amazing how everyone bands together to help those less fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is amazing, isn't it? We all need to count our blessings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plarn-img_0897-jpg

Here is the finished product. My first plarn project and I'm thinking its cute , but then I'm a bit biased��
    Last edited by nia0309; 07-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nia0309 View Post
    Plarn-img_0897-jpg

Here is the finished product. My first plarn project and I'm thinking its cute , but then I'm a bit biased��
    nia0309, I like your tote it looks just like a tote with yarn. You are very clever.

Spoula