Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

crocheting a blanket?

When you're crocheting a blanket, is it a good idea to turn your work and crochet on the opposite side of your work? Do you know what I mean? Lets say you've crocheted enough rows for 6 - 6 and a half inches and then you crochet from the opposite side where you started. If I did this would it make the blanket more foldy (is that a word? is bendable a better word?) Although I started with 2 strands held together as one and now I'm using 1 strand of a different brand/skein which is not as thick of a yarn and the row will bend or fold although I'm not on the opposite side where I started on; I'm on the next row.

Post Thanks / Like
    When crocheting 2 strands of the yarn together as one can you take a skein and just double or fold over some of the yarn into a loop and when you run out of the 2 strands of yarn put the single strand of yarn through the loop so you can crochet 2 strands again instead of rewinding the whole skein into 2 strands together or taking an end of yarn from each side and holding them together? Then the yarn wouldn't get twisted as much if you held 2 strands together in a loop and crocheted a few stitches and then put the single strand of yarn through the loop so you could crochet more stitches. Has anyone ever done this?

I'll see if I can make it clearer. Make a long loop with yarn. Hold the loop together. crochet 3-4 stitches or so and when you're almost at the end of the loop (the 2 strands of yarn held together) put the single strand of yarn through the loop and continue to crochet. Do people do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what you mean, but I would just experiment with your ideas, and see what happens! Maybe you might invent some new technique!

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts
    I try to stay with the same type yarn cotton or acrylic and also the same weight of yarn, with the exception of the border or trim, somewhat for balance but mostly for ease in the inevitable washing and drying.
    Some projects are worked face up, usually in the round. Some projects are turned every row. This is to prevent having yarn tails on both ends, yet sill some projects require yarn tails on the ends. Crochet does have a definite front and back which the untrained eye can notice. If it is a desired look so much the better. If not desired there are limited ways to conceal it.
    Working through the stitch from back to front is one way but in most cases I would not recommend it. An example of one use that it is good for would be here. Lacking a professional name I call it a blanket stitch and I usually use it to join edges. Ideal Delusions: Blanket Stitch ?
    For a more fluid feel or perhaps what you call bendable projects I search for a more fluid stitch pattern and I personally lean toward larger hooks.
    I do not know of any way to create an automatic fold area in a one piece project but with research you may be able to find a way to crochet one in. If working in sections that can be joined the aforementioned stitch might be useful. Hope this helps
    Last edited by DorisAnn; 05-28-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. H View Post
    I am not sure what you mean, but I would just experiment with your ideas, and see what happens! Maybe you might invent some new technique!
    Hi Mrs. H.,
    I mean- take a piece of yarn from the skein of yarn; don't cut the yarn. Take about a 12 inch or smaller piece of yarn and fold it in half. Now you have a big loop. Hold the 2 strands of the loop together as one and crochet. You'll probably only get 3 to 4 stitches before the 2 strands of yarn run out; so take some more yarn and pull it through the big loop so you have another big loop and you can crochet 3 to 4 stitches again. Repeat across row.

I'm crocheting with one strand of yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, That is a wonderful idea!! I've been doing this the hard way with rolling the skein into two separate balls. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if you don't roll the skein into a ball at first, you can use the outer thread and the one that comes from the inside to crochet double. I haven't actually tried this, but it was a suggestion made on The Crochet Crowd website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dafydil View Post
    Jean Marie, That is a wonderful idea!! I've been doing this the hard way with rolling the skein into two separate balls. Thank you!
    Your welcome