Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Help please

Post Thanks / Like

Help please

Im attempting a Shell Stitch cardigan for my grand daughter and am having a little trouble understanding the pattern. I'm ok with the actual pattern but I've never shaped a neckline using the instructions provided this is how the pattern reads
    SHAPE NECK: bind off 4 sts at neck edge once, 3sts once, 2sts 1 time, 1st 3 times, - 34 sts.
    Pattern states TO BIND OFF: at beg of row sl st loosely across specified number of stitches. AT END OF ROW: leave specified number of stitches unworked

Cardigan is separated at lower armholes to work L and R front and back.
    Hoping someone can help me out with this

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like this is knitted. I might be reading this wrong but if you sl st 3 sts and then sl st 2 sts and then sl st 3 sts 3 times and that leaves you with 34 sts unworked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    It sounds like this is knitted. I might be reading this wrong but if you sl st 3 sts and then sl st 2 sts and then sl st 3 s.ts 3 times and that leaves you with 34 sts unworked.
    I think what is confusing me is the "binding" process as I haven't come across this only in knitting or to end off in crochet. The piece does have a knitted Lower edge and left and right front borders.

Maybe it means to sl st 4 sts at neck edge in the initial row, then 3 in the next row at neck edge then 2 an so on as stated. Ive tried this and it looks ok not sure it is correct tho.

FYI part of the patterns is below
    CARDIGAN BODY: worked in shell stitch (4 rows makes shell pat) until specified length
    DIVIDE WORK: RIGHT FRONT: NEXT ROW: Work 34 (38,40,42,46) sts for right front until piece is the correct measurement
    SHAPE NECK: Bind off 0(0-0-4-4)sts at neck edge once, 3 sts once, 2 sts 1(2-2-1-1)times, 1 st 4 (3-3-3-3)times - 25(28-30-30-34)sts Continue until piece is specified length from start. End Off
    BACK: Return to last long row. Join yard and work until piece is specified length
    LEFT FRONT: Return to last long row. Join yarn at underarm and work across remaining sts to right front, reversing shaping.

Pattern then goes on to the sleeves, collar which are crocheted and the edges which are knitted

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I think I would kill to be able to find patterns that make themselves clear. I wish that everyone offering "free" patterns on internet websites would instead charge $5.00 for each one with the guarantee that everyone would be able to understand them. However, even with patterns you pay for, things are not always clear.

I have tried making things described as "Easy" or "Beginner" even though in the past I made some fairly complicated things. Far too often the pattern writer simply does not know standard expressions or where to put the two stars to indicate what you repeat. Sometimes I think they are making up their item as they go along.

Is it just me?

5. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with you. Thanks for the help tho I've used another for the neck shaping which was much clearer ��

7. Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MeToo!;197734]You know, I think I would kill to be able to find patterns that make themselves clear. I wish that everyone offering "free" patterns on internet websites would instead charge $5.00 for each one with the guarantee that everyone would be able to understand them. However, even with patterns you pay for, things are not always clear.

I have tried making things described as "Easy" or "Beginner" even though in the past I made some fairly complicated things. Far too often the pattern writer simply does not know standard expressions or where to put the two stars to indicate what you repeat. Sometimes I think they are making up their item as they go along.

Hi MToo,

I agree with your post. No it is not just you.
    I have made several things lately and every pattern has some kind of fault in them. I can pretty much read between the lines in a crochet pattern but knitting patterns are hard for me to understand.
    Spoula

9. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply, Spoula. I knit a pair of slippers long ago at a knitting class and that was the end of my knitting career! The teacher IMO should have started us out with something simple such as a dishcloth, for instance. I must say, though, that for elegant garments, there are far more knitted items than crocheted.

11. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MeToo
    Oh that is so funny about starting out with something simple. I like the way knitting looks so I thought I was so smart my first knit pattern was a cable sweater for my little grandson. I made it but knitted so tight because the stitches kept falling off the needle and I had to start over again if that happened. Anyway I finished the sweater and the stitches were so tight the sweater looked and felt like cardboard. I watched you tube videos to see what a knit and purl stitch looked like. Every pattern I knit I write out every stitch on a spread sheet so that I won't miss any stitches.
    Looks like I am not alone when it comes to reading patterns.
    Loved your post.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 05-30-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    MeToo
    Oh that is so funny about starting out with something simple. I like the way knitting looks so I thought I was so smart my first knit pattern was a cable sweater for my little grandson. I made it but knitted so tight because the stitches kept falling off the needle and I had to start over again if that happened. Anyway I finished the sweater and the stitches were so tight the sweater looked and felt like cardboard. I watched you tube videos to see what a knit and purl stitch looked like. Every pattern I knit I write out every stitch on a spread sheet so that I won't miss any stitches.
    Looks like I am not alone when it comes to reading patterns.
    Loved your post.
    Spoula
    LOL! Hey, did the child ever get to wear that cardboard harness? Maybe you could have used it on a little dog? Heh, heh.

14. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shape Neckline: To bind off the pattern directions say to slip stitch into the first 4 stitches, then (1 stitch in the next 3 stitches, 1 stitch in next 2 stitches, 1 stitch into next 3 stitches) and repeat the sequence in parentheses across the row; leave the last 4 stitches unworked. This should give you 34 stitches. Please let me know if this helps you.
    ---HarriEtta